Cannot setup IMAP account - Authentication error for SMTP

Problem

I’m getting authentication error for setting up my school’s email on my Ubuntu machine. I tried Thunderbird and I could successfully setup my account but in mailspring it gives authentication error. I have put the log file at the end of this message

Setup

• OS and Version: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
  • Mailspring Version: 1.2.1-7e7447b6

Additional Context

----------SMTP----------
220 *** ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.8/8.14.8; Fri, 6 Apr 2018 13:19:11 -0400 (EDT)
EHLO ****
250-**** Hello ****** pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-STARTTLS
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
STARTTLS
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
EHLO *****
250****** Hello *******, pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
AUTH PLAIN c2VkZ2hpAHNXXXXXQBzYWRvaGFzaHRhZG84QA==
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "AUTH PLAIN c2VkZ2hpAHNXXXXXQBzYWRvaGFzaHRhZG84QA=="

SMTP Last Response Code: 500

SMTP Last Response: 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "AUTH PLAIN c2VkZ2hpAHNXXXXXQBzYWRvaGFzaHRhZG84QA=="

mailsmtp Last Error Code: 1

mailsmtp Last Error Location: 10

(Originally posted by sedghi on GitHub.)

Hey folks—thanks for reporting this. @sedghi , do you know if your university network doesn’t require authentication at all to send email? It seems like the SMTP server is responding without the “AUTH” capability, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen. Mailspring is essentially trying to log in and the server doesn’t know what that command means.

I’ll see if I can reproduce this!

(Originally posted by bengotow on GitHub.)

Thanks for responding

I checked my SMTP settings in the Thunderbird (which works with my university email) and got the following for the SMTP settings:

• Authentication method: normal password
  • Connection Security: STARTTLS

(Originally posted by sedghi on GitHub.)

Hi,

One more here, SMTP Access Error.

Tested on 1.78 | 1.61 | 1.53
All the same on every version.

Opera Mail works fine for many accounts and all SMTP Ports.

Thank you.

(Originally posted by Zalext on GitHub.)

I have just been through this exact thing. It was necessary for me to contact technical support at Godaddy and they had to go to some special procedure to stop disabling the SMTP authentication. Then everything worked perfectly.

Ok fellows, what’s the solution here? Doesn’t anyone monitor these posts?

When I view my connection log, it’s telling me it connects IMAP fine but SMTP requires authentication. How do I set up Mailspring to authenticate SMTP???

In order to have great software, it needs to work properly. I was tired of waiting on a response, so I switched to another email software. Geary actually WORKS!! Imagine that…