Can't configure archive folder for Gmail account?

Problem

New mailspring user here. I setup my gmail account and I was surprised to note that I can’t configure the “Archive” mailbox for gmail:

Screenshot from 2020-09-22 20-05-40

I am able to configure this mailbox for the other accounts I’ve setup. This is particularly important to me as I have all of my unattended mailing lists messages in the default archive mailbox “[Gmail]/All Mail” and I want to use a different archive mailbox, just like my other mail clients (K9).

Email Provider

Gmail

Setup

• OS and Version: NixOS
  • Mailspring Version: 1.7.8

(Originally posted by doronbehar on GitHub.)

From Archiving Messages

With Gmail, “archiving” is a built-in concept and removes the Inbox label from the conversation. After archiving, you can view the conversation by going to “All Mail” in the sidebar (which Mailspring may show as “Archive” if you have multiple accounts linked), or by viewing a label that was applied to the conversation.

Still, this is rather confusing behavior. I wonder if there’s a better way to solve this? (Maybe not.)

I agree it’s confusing. Having multiple accounts, the name of the “Archive” folder in the left panel seems to adopt the corresponding name of the first account. If gmail is the first, all archive folders of other accounts will appear as “All mail”, while if it is another account (with a proper Archive folder), the Archive > gmail section of the left panel will show the content of the “All Mail” gmail folder, which is literally all your emails.
It would be great to have an option for the Archive folder in gmail accounts in Mailspring that could be linked to a user generated label.

1 Like