Custom Email Sorting

There are a few requests to be able to sort messages by date, subject, and sender.

This would probably require us to implement Make Threading/Conversation View Optional first. However, Gmail does allow sorting threads by date of most recent message; other clients allow sorting threads by original subject or original sender.

(Original issues had 14 votes in total.)

Installed Mailspring today, and will have to uninstall, Iā€™m afraid. :frowning: No way to sort inbox is a dealbreaker for me. Especially being unable to sort by date, so now I see emails in reverse order. Itā€™s the only email client Iā€™ve seen that canā€™t sort inbox, and itā€™s kind of baffling. I upvoted this request, but from the look of things this wonā€™t be implemented anytime soon. Sorry, I really wanted to love it. :frowning:

7 Likes

Same here. Iā€™m looking for a new client to replace Postbox or Thunderbird, and Mailspring has the most promise so far. But missing basic sorting is a real head-scratcher. I wonā€™t be able to use it on a daily basis without that.

3 Likes

Iā€™m looking for this feature too. Unless Iā€™m expecting something urgent in my inbox, I really like to have my list sorted by date from oldest to newest.

3 Likes

Appleā€™s Mail.app allows threading and sorting independently. Threading is a grouping feature where the most recent message is used for sorting parameters (at least with respect to dates, and sender, I believe). If messages are sorted by flag (star) and threading mode is enabled, then if any of the threadā€™s messages is flagged, the thread is treated as flagged. Itā€™s actually really, really useful.

In other words (at least as best I can tell), threading is used to group messages and then sorting applies to the group as if it were a single pseudo-message (with varying behaviors regarding what comprises that pseudo-message from its members)

I need to have sort options for the inbox and folders.

1 Like

Have created a PR with support for this request, no message/thread optional (though I think this should be implemented)

1 Like