Impossible to set up mail account because of SMTP verification

Description

It’s impossible to set up an account with our email server because our email server refuses to relay to ‘mail@invalid.com’. A simple option to bypass the check would make it work.

Instead we get the following:

SMTP Last Response: 5.7.1 email@invalid.com: Recipient address rejected: Access denied

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:
This can be reproduced with any server refusing to relay to ‘email@invalid.com’.

Expected Behavior

I would not expect Mailspring to have such a mechanism in the first place. But if it absolutely must be there it would be good to be able to bypass it.

Setup

• OS and Version: Ubuntu Linux 20.04
  • Installation Method: .deb
  • Mailspring Version: 1.10.1

@Saphar I am sorry, I do not really understand the issue. SMTP verification is something that is done on the server side, not in the client. Can you please provide a step for step guide on how to reproduce the issue, so I can confirm whether this is a Mailspring problem?

Well, I didn’t look at the code but it looks like Mailspring as a part of the SMTP verification tries to send an email to ‘email@invalid.com’, It then looks at the response from the server to see if the SMTP details are correct. When the server refuses to send that email like ours does, it responds by saying that the SMTP details are not correct. But there might be other reasons why a server refuses to send that email.

I would say that Mailspring should sop verifying the SMTP details as soon as it made a successful authentication. Or if it absolutely must do this check, there should be a way to go around that check.