"Mailspring could not find the mailsync process" in dev build

I’ve got a copy of the Mailspring codebase on two PCs (my personal PC and my work PC). On the first one, I managed to run properly after quite a bit of pain (couldn’t log in… ended up having to use “Run with Debug Flags” with a production version, log in there, exit it, manually kill lingering mailsync.exe processes, then I could start my dev build properly. I posted that here: "Signing in" forever in GitHub dev build).

On my second PC, I’m getting this error even after running npm install and haven’t figured out how to progress past it:

Mailspring could not find the mailsync process. If you’re building Mailspring from source, make sure mailsync.tar.gz has been downloaded and unpacked in your working copy.

The thing is I’m not even sure where to get the mailsync.tar.gz from, or whether that’s appropriate for Windows.

I’m using the current master commit 187ba07206f9952bfe70f0d09779689a5bc98df3 as of the time I’m posting this.

Windows 10, version 20H2
Node v15.12.0
npm v7.6.3

Any ideas?

@bengotow I think we need you on this one!

Hi, did you find a solution for this problem? I have the same issue and could not find anything so far.

I’m on Linux, it seems like clear build instructions or list of dependencies required would be very useful

I also tried building the mailsync code, but it fails with this error:

Building and installing curl-7.70.0...
Reading package lists... Done
E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

I’m not sure if i’m missing any tools or build dependencies, since those don’t seem to be documented

I have the same issue recently, as a result of initializing the mailsync git submodule. Apparently Mailspring does not build it for you. But you can follow these steps to download the built version:

1. Ensure that the mailsync dir is empty, if you have initialized it you can use git submodule deinit -f --all to clear it.
  2. Re-run npm i in project root. You should see some kinda output: image

This made the “Mailspring could not find the mailsync process” error go away for me during development.

Doesn’t work any more, at least for Macs:

Sorry, an error occurred while fetching the Mailspring Mailsync build for your machine
(https://mailspring-builds.s3.amazonaws.com/mailsync/b381582d/osx/mailsync.tar.gz)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Error><Code>AccessDenied</Code><Message>Access Denied</Message><RequestId>ZFPY3EJQ4APAA7ER</RequestId><HostId>yJlBTBq095cyungA8fzeo3vRi8uEVDZTUm8AYTKilBMkqDNs6/gZIrkD1Z68dUEXSPHnwGjFxDQ=</HostId></Error>````

Anyone know where to download the pre-built version of Mailsync?  On my mac, I can't get autogen.sh to work, and that's got to work to build Mailsync.

Thanks.

-Ken