Mailspring for Apple Sillicon Macs

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
Recompile the app for apple sillicon macs for better battery life

Describe the solution you’d like
Since the app is based on electron an React, for what I have researched it would not be too hard to recompile the app so it can be native on apple’s new chips, hence, getting the performance and battery gains that come with them.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
None, just make it compatible pleeeeaseeee, I don’t want to use Apple Mail it suckss

Additional context
I might be wrong here and it might not be as easy, or the app might have been updated already. If that’s the case. sorry hahah I am a first year CS student so I don’t know too much about this stuff yet.
Anyway, this is the best email client and I will still use it in the rest of my devices, just a pity that I won’t use it on my MacBook since it drains more battery than necessary

(Originally posted by nicocossiom on GitHub.)

When can we expect M1 Update?

What is the current state of the app on these machines? Do they work? How does the battery drain manifest itself?

The Problem

Currently, MailSpring runs under Rosetta 2 on Apple Silicon which is less than ideal. A native Apple Silicon build would perform better.

Proposed Solution

Create a native Apple Silicon build.

Alternative Solutions

N/A

Context

N/A

For us to run natively on Apple Silicon, we’ll need to support ARM archiecture on macOS. This was only added in Electron 11, and we’re not even up to Electron 10 yet. Migration takes time.

Has there been any update on this? It looks like Electron 10.x.y has reached end-of-support

+1 to this. Would love to have a native Mailspring application for M1. Notice a little slow down when running through Rosetta 2.

Honestly I would just use Spark Mail app if I were on Apple devices.

Spark support multiple devices, threads and it doesn’t have login issue like Mailspring for Gmail or MS 365

I looked into it and unfortunately it’s Mac App Store only so it’s a no from me. I don’t like being forced in an ecosystem. If I can’t download it manually, I’m good.

The electron update is on its way: https://github.com/Foundry376/Mailspring/issues/2352

Maybe you can try to run it natively from the source branch and let me know if you see any adjustments that need to be made to target the silicon architecture. Otherwise, we need to see how to adjust the build process accordingly to get matching builds.

1 Like

I see that the issue referenced by @Phylu is closed, and that release 1.10.0 says that “[Upgrading to Electon 14] will allow Mailspring to ship Universal builds for MacOS ARM machines”, but when I download the latest release (1.10.3), it’s clearly still running as an Intel App via Rosetta 2.

Perhaps I’m mistaken, and if so, where should I be looking to download the correct universal binary?

FWIW: Mac M1Max, Monterey 12.3.1