On Linux, version 1.9.0 app windows becomes unresponsive

Previously I’ve never experienced this bug but after today’s update to version 1.9.0 I had three occurrences of it. At some point, the Mailspring application window, which I’m using maximized, not full screen, shrinks to a smaller window and either completely becomes unresponsive or you can click something but it’s not the element under the mouse pointer but some other element from the window. Not even window controls are clickable. The only thing I can do is quit the app from the tray icon and restart it.

Not yet sure since this is a very recent bug. I’m using Mailspring for some time now and I didn’t have the slightest problem with it.

• OS and Version: elementaryOS 5.1.7 Hera, Linux 5.4.0-71-generic, GTK 3.22.30
  • Installation Method: deb file
  • Mailspring Version: 1.9.0-87660767

Hey @WebShapedBiz thanks for reporting this! That sounds super strange - it seems like this might be a broader issue with Electron 8+, I wonder if anyone has reported similar behavior in Slack / VSCode / other Electron apps. Will do a bit of googling and see if we can narrow this down.

Thank you @bengotow for your reply. I’m using daily like dozen electron apps (Slack, VSCode, ModernDeck, Google Web Designer, Discord, Skype, …) and this issue is something I’ve just seen on the latest version of Mailspring.

Thanks for the reply, good to know it’s specific to Mailspring - that definitely narrows it down. Could you try updating to 1.9.1 if you haven’t? In that patch release we fixed a bug that was causing SQLite lock contention if you had more than one or two accounts, and I just realized that actually could cause the whole app to lock on Linux. In the meantime, I’ll see if I can reproduce this!

Thank you @bengotow for your time and effort.

Yes, I’ve updated to 1.9.1, yes I have multiple email accounts (all Gmail), and unfortunately no, it’s not any better. If anything, it seems that the problem is slightly more frequent after the 1.9.1 update but that could be anything since there was no “regular” frequency so far. Some days better some worse :frowning:

Cheers.

I think I found a way to replicate the issue.

• When the main Mailspring is opened, either visible on desktop or minimized to dock, clicking on tray icon and selecting “Open inbox” crashes Mailspring.
  • When the Mailspring is closed to tray then everything works fine.

Once more, this has started to happen with Mailspring v1.9.x