Spell check marks some words wrong and suggests the incorrect spelling

Description

I use Australian English and when composing an email, it marks some words as being wrong when they are correct. In the sentence “I realise the colour of the licence isn’t always aluminium grey.”, it marks “colour” and “grey” as incorrect and suggests the US spelling, despite not marking licence, aluminium or grey as being wrong when that is not the US way of spelling them. (See screenshot for more clarification).

I don’t think the particular combination of words that Mailspring thinks is correct is a form of English anywhere.

It seems to happen if it’s set to either “Use system language” or Australian English

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Set language to be Australian English
  2. Use the following sentence

Expected Behavior

Nothing is marked as incorrect besides the “youyy” which was intentional

Screenshots

Setup

• OS and Version: Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042
    • Installation Method: Installer
  • Mailspring Version: 1.9.1-30ef

This seems like it is potentially an issue with the dictionary that Mailspring is relying on?

In the General Settings, you can specify your spellcheck language as English (Australian) - I’m not sure if that is what you were already referring to.

But if even with that set, words are still incorrect then yeh, that’s down to the source of that dictionary - not sure where the source is that’s used.

Ok thanks, it looks like Mailspring uses Hunspell so I’ll put in an issue on their github.

Followup on that,

I downloaded LibreOffice which uses Hunspell as well and put the same phrase in.

You can see that it manages it just fine so I believe that it’s Mailspring’s implementation that possibly has the bug. I also added “analog” because I think only Australian English sees the phrase “analog colour” as being correct.