Emails randomly get deleted

Description

I often randomly find emails in my trash (that I did not delete). I’m not able to identify what triggers it and it seems to happen to emails that I have not interacted with. I typically find out about them when I search for old emails and eventually find them in the trash.

Setup

• OS and Version: Ubuntu
  • Mailspring Version: 1.7.8

(Originally posted by mod323 on GitHub.)

I run it on Ubuntu.

It was definitely the case for 1.7.8.

In 1.8.0 I didn’t had enough time to notice, however some signs it’s still the case are here. For example, here is a thread in a Trash, with no actually deleted messages:

1 Like

Hey,

Still there with v1.8.0 on OS/X ! I can confirm.
FYI : all deleted emails have been archived by myself. This is probably a trigger.

2 Likes

Thanks for the bug report. Could this be due to the fact that when a draft e-mail is deleted, the thread appears in the Trash, but does not show actual messages there. See also:

So this is exactly the case of what @tomastan displayed in the screenshot. This is also in line with what @mod323 originally posted (and confirmed here: Emails randomly get deleted · Issue #2205 · Foundry376/Mailspring · GitHub)

This is completely random, but is there any possibility this is linked to the Send Undo-triggered glitch?

1 Like

Good point, this is exactly what I was thinking!
I can’t confirm for now, but I will be very vigilant during the next days to understand this better.

In fact, I wait after each email I send (to avoid the “send undo glitch”) so I never let an email disappear because of that glitch. Never. BUT, in the same time, I got a lot of emails in my trash related to the “trash glitch”.

So, maybe they are related, but they don’t trigger the same way.

I’m not sure if this is the same or different, but I just got whole email thread disappeared. Somehow it still shows me in the search list, but it doesn’t open any email details (there were over 20 email in the conversation). Moreover I cannot find any thread emails in Gmail anymore as well. So everything was lost.

i’ve been suffering from this issue for 2 years now.

Deleted emails also don’t appear in search result, so I have to use another email client in combination with mailspring just for the search function.

Observed the bug in last 4-5 versions of OS X with last ~10 versions of mailspring

1 Like