[Resolved] Gmail "This App is Blocked

Do you know if the verification process is being pursued? I’m using a business account and as far as I can tell none of the other solutions are available to me - I can’t generate an app password and I believe that IMAP is also not an option. I’ve tried some other programs but Mailspring is a fair degree better than those. Very frustrating

It will not solve the issue. App password for imap only.

Hi, this workaround doesnt import contacts & contacts label. Its clearly not a solution for me.

Same issue -
Can be used mailspring for gmail at all? I do not want spend days trying to get mailspring working .

This is the correct answer. The issue is fully within the purview of the app developer to stay current on their OAuth app verification requirements, which as @axelitus has pointed out is an annual process (the developers should have received an email from Google about starting the reverification process). IMAP and/or app passwords are not a solution, but a less secure and less functional workaround. Until the verification process is completed by the developer, there’s nothing a user can do to get it working without a less secure less convenient workaround.

Do we know if anyone from the dev team has seen this thread? Any movement or action being taken? It’d be great to get a confirmation that it’s being addressed and maybe a vague timeline. This effects anyone on Gmail.

5 Likes

same issue here! any progress?

Same problem here, please fix!

@bengotow mentioned that he’s working on resolving that issue with Gmail OAuth: Outlook OAuth2 login needed urgently! Password functionality is ending - #19 by bengotow

2 Likes

This issue is a huge headache for us :disappointed:

I’m trying to add Gmail to Mailspring for the first time. I got “This app is blocked” when I tried setting up with the gmail button. I then tried IMAP and got this:

This looks like a Gmail account! While it’s possible to setup an App Password and connect to Gmail via IMAP, Mailspring also supports Google OAuth. Go back and select “Gmail & Google Apps” from the provider screen.

So does Mailspring support Google OAuth or not?

I’m on an Intel Mac 13.7, running Mailspring 1.14.0.

it happens for me too, i can’t use mailspring

Just adding me as another impacted user!! please, fix it! let`s vote for this issue!

2 Likes

Hi,
I was trying to connect my contacts from google, not importing my gmail. In any case, the 2 factors auth and appassword did not work for me. Waiting for this issue being solved…

FYI I got around this by getting my GSuite admin to add Mailspring as a configured app and it started working again. I know it’s not a universal or particularly convenient work-around, but it does seem to work

1 Like

Looks like @bengotow Is making some progress. Hopefully its resolved soon-ish…

I think the issue is fixed
I could connect my gmail again in mailspring

1 Like

Yes @ariaieboy, I can confirm that the security audit that @bengotow mentioned a few weeks back is done. I’m able to add a (normal not force approved though GSuite/Google Workspace) account. :tada: :confetti_ball:

Hey folks! As @compuguy mentioned, the audit has been completed and we got a notification yesterday that our Gmail access has been approved. Thank you all for your patience, it took longer than I expected to get this resolved and I know access to your email accounts is… sort of the whole point of Mailspring.

I’m hoping Google keeps this process in the years to come, and it’ll be easier for us to comply now that we’ve jumped through the updated hoops. I saw in the news that Transmit is dropping Google Drive because of these changing annual security reviews, but we don’t really have the option to do that given Gmail’s popularity.

Thank you all!

2 Likes

Congratulations,
However, when I tick only the contacts sync box, I end up with a message saying it failed to connect - Check your user name and password. (IMAP). “Erreur d’authentification - Vérifiez votre nom d’utilisateur et votre mot de passe. (IMAP)”
What do I need to do from here to sync my contacts from my Gmail acount?

Congratulations and thank you for the hard work! Honestly, this, in my opinion, is the only email client worth paying for. Can’t wait to have calendar support (and hopefully an Android app (someday…)) in the future.