Password Management Error

Hello,
Since updating to version 12, mailspring no longer works.
I get the following error on opening:
“Mailspring was unable to store your password securely”.

I’ve followed the instructions but nothing works.
Even after a complete reinstallation, when reopening Mailspring the error comes back.

I’ve also noticed that the systray icon no longer appears.

Graphics card: NVidia
Mailspring Snap version

Note: Mailspring works correctly under Ubuntu 2310.

Note: Mailspring works correctly under Ubuntu 2310.

I’ve to check this better, but I feel that’s because ubuntu 23.10 includes the XDG Portal for secret service that may play a role here (also 22.04 should use it), cause the library will try to use it when available.

See libsecret/secret-backend.c · master · GNOME / libsecret · GitLab

It’s sitll unclear to me why setting SECRET_BACKEND=file instead the snap isn’t picked otherwise. As this should still make the app behave consistently.

From what I saw in my tests, the tray icon may still be showing in the latest version, but it uses the Legacy X11 tray icons instead of the appindicator, and the legacy tray may be blocked or unsupported by many DEs.

Through “Seahorse” I noticed that the ID was saved when Mailspring was first launched, but the mail account passwords were not saved.

Mailspring in command line :
« Gtk-Message: 11:52:43.921: Failed to load module “xapp-gtk3-module”
Gtk-Message: 11:52:43.921: Failed to load module “appmenu-gtk-module”
Gtk-Message: 11:52:43.921: Not loading module “atk-bridge”: The functionality is provided by GTK natively. Please try to not load it.
Running database migrations
App load time: 209ms

{“error”:null}
libva error: vaGetDriverNames() failed with unknown libva error »

Piling on to confirm 1.12 password saving not working correctly on Ubuntu LTS 22.04 via Snap. Have reinstalled via deb and that seems to be working OK.

1 Like

I was able to get it working for about 50 hours. Then it stopped giving read receipts. Then my computer updated and now I can’t even get the app to open so I can try to correct the password problem. It was literally working 5 hours ago, and now I can’t even open the app (I just get a message that the app couldn’t store my password).

1 Like

Took me a while to figure this out on Ubuntu with Mailspring installed via snap.

I’ve done all the steps from the accepted answer, but a few things are different:

For me the desktop file was located here: /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/mailspring_mailspring.desktop.

Somehow got errors editing that via gedit UI (some encoding error I dunno), so used nano for that:

sudo nano /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/mailspring_mailspring.desktop

adding the --password-store="gnome-libsecret" as mentioned.

Then I had problems logging in via Google account due to some missing fields, so I removed /home/{username}/snap/mailspring.

This will probably delete all your mailspring settings and accounts, but what the heck. At least got the client working again.

rm -rf /home/{username}/snap/mailspring

I confirm Mailspring 1.12.0-390a301d via deb works correctly.
The installation requested the missing dependencies “libsecret-1-dev”

Broken in v1.12 via Snap

Mailspring 1.12.0-390a301d gets broken in Ubuntu 23.10 via Snap.

Everything works great prior to update to v1.12:

• sudo snap connect mailspring:password-manager-service was active
  • gnome-keyring is installed
  • libsecret is installed

Mailspring v1.11 was working good and the new update gets broken. Also tried to reconnect to Gmail Accounts and didn’t work.

Tests

These are some tests done:

$ mailspring --trace-warnings
Gtk-Message: 19:20:18.632: Not loading module "atk-bridge": The functionality is provided by GTK natively. Please try to not load it.

(mailspring:455260): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:20:18.717: GTK+ module /snap/mailspring/526/gnome-platform/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so cannot be loaded.
GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported.
Gtk-Message: 19:20:18.717: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

(mailspring:455260): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:20:18.719: GTK+ module /snap/mailspring/526/gnome-platform/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so cannot be loaded.
GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported.
Gtk-Message: 19:20:18.719: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
App load time: 326ms

{"error":null}
[455407:1121/192018.867354:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(377)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[455260:1121/192019.087526:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Error: Could not call remote method 'decryptString'. Check that the method signature is correct. Underlying error: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.Underlying stack: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.
    at /snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:465:71
    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:events:390:28)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:domain:475:12)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:161:10935)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:390:28)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:475:12)

at /snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:468:25
    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:events:390:28)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:domain:475:12)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:161:10935)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:390:28)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:475:12) {
  message: "Recovered Error: Could not call remote method 'decryptString'. Check that the method signature is correct. Underlying error: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.Underlying stack: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.\n" +
    '    at /snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:465:71\n' +
    '    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)\n' +
    '    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:events:390:28)\n' +
    '    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:domain:475:12)\n' +
    '    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:161:10935)\n' +
    '    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:390:28)\n' +
    '    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:475:12)\n'
} { pluginIds: [] }
(node:455260) [DEP0066] DeprecationWarning: OutgoingMessage.prototype._headers is deprecated
(Use `mailspring --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)
Raven: 429 - undefined

$ mailspring --trace-warnings
Gtk-Message: 19:20:46.982: Not loading module "atk-bridge": The functionality is provided by GTK natively. Please try to not load it.

(mailspring:456165): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:20:47.067: GTK+ module /snap/mailspring/526/gnome-platform/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so cannot be loaded.
Gtk-Message: 19:20:47.067: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

(mailspring:456165): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:20:47.068: GTK+ module /snap/mailspring/526/gnome-platform/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so cannot be loaded.
Gtk-Message: 19:20:47.068: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
App load time: 309ms

[456284:1121/192047.211619:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(377)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[456165:1121/192047.435351:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
[456284:1121/192049.562493:ERROR:gl_surface_presentation_helper.cc(260)] GetVSyncParametersIfAvailable() failed for 1 times!

$

The same command run two times gives different results/behavior. The 1st time, it shows an error on a button to quit. The 2nd time the app is opened but I can’t reconnect the accounts.

Cant revert to revision 523. It isn’t available anymore.
:pensive:

Please check out version 1.13.1 which should resolve all the issues that you encounter: Release 1.13.1 · Foundry376/Mailspring · GitHub

You can find more information about how this was resolved here: Password Management Error after the latest Upgrade - #29 by bengotow

1 Like

The issue persists on both Snap and deb as of today.
Even performed sudo snap connect mailspring:password-manager-service

Switching to Thunderbird for now. Notify us when fixed.

MX-Linux KDE (Latest updates/version)

Just to confirm, you are on version 1.13.1 already and have reconnected you Mailspring Id and all your accounts?

Not sure if you’re addressing me, anyways, I uninstalled and fresh-installed it from the official website both .deb and Snap which neither of them worked. Am I missing your point here?

1 Like

Updated to Snap v1.13.1 and now everything works!

I did the steps in the link : Password Management Error after the latest Upgrade - #29 by bengotow

:+1:

1 Like

@mrtabaa Yes, can you please check that you are running the latest 1.13.1 version? If not, please use snap refresh to get the update.

Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-11-22 12-56-38

Here still not working, running arch linux, 1.13.1 installed by AUR repository.

What exactly means “still not working”? The AUR version is using the .deb version as a base, so the snap related errors should not appear. Can you please provide an error log that you see? Did you try a fresh install?

yes, it is a fresh install, and cleared my mailspring profile, and still mailspring crash after “skip mailspring ID”
2023-11-22-143115_ss

[ia@sun ~] % mailspring                                             [0][14:23:55]
[182148:1122/142401.455486:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: No such interface “org.freedesktop.portal.FileChooser”
[182148:1122/142401.455544:ERROR:select_file_dialog_linux_portal.cc(274)] Failed to read portal version property
App load time: 284ms

Running Setup
Manual update check (updates.getmailspring.com/check/linux/x64/1.13.1-59cb1b1d/anonymous/stable) returned 204
Error: Could not call remote method 'encryptString'. Check that the method signature is correct. Underlying error: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString. Encryption is not available.Underlying stack: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString. Encryption is not available.
    at /usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:465:71
    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:events:513:28)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:domain:489:12)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:82058)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:513:28)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:489:12)

at /usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:468:25
    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:82058)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:489:12) {
  cause: {
    stack: 'Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString. Encryption is not available.\n' +
      '    at /usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:465:71\n' +
      '    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)\n' +
      '    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:events:513:28)\n' +
      '    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:domain:489:12)\n' +
      '    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:82058)\n' +
      '    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:513:28)\n' +
      '    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:489:12)',
    message: 'Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString. Encryption is not available.'
  }
(node:182148) [DEP0066] DeprecationWarning: OutgoingMessage.prototype._headers is deprecated
(Use `mailspring --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)

[ia@sun ~] % mailspring --trace-warnings                            [0][14:37:39]
[188420:1122/143741.425991:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: No such interface “org.freedesktop.portal.FileChooser”
[188420:1122/143741.426088:ERROR:select_file_dialog_linux_portal.cc(274)] Failed to read portal version property
App load time: 278ms

Manual update check (updates.getmailspring.com/check/linux/x64/1.13.1-59cb1b1d/anonymous/stable) returned 204
Error: Could not call remote method 'encryptString'. Check that the method signature is correct. Underlying error: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString. Encryption is not available.Underlying stack: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString. Encryption is not available.
    at /usr/lib/mailspring/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:465:71
    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/mailspring/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:82104)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:489:12)

at /usr/lib/mailspring/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:468:25
    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/mailspring/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:82104)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:489:12) {
  cause: {
    stack: 'Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString. Encryption is not available.\n' +
      '    at /usr/lib/mailspring/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:465:71\n' +
      '    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/mailspring/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)\n' +
      '    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:events:513:28)\n' +
      '    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:domain:489:12)\n' +
      '    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:82104)\n' +
      '    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:513:28)\n' +
      '    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:489:12)',
    message: 'Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString. Encryption is not available.'
  }
(node:188420) [DEP0066] DeprecationWarning: OutgoingMessage.prototype._headers is deprecated
(Use `electron --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)

@helionmelion Please try to run mailspring --password-store="gnome-libsecret".
This is a different error message than what was affecting the snap environment. Which desktop environment are you using. I’d assume its an environment that electron does not detect itself properly.