SMTP server would not relay a message

Same issue and error message for me. Checked the log and its trying to send an email to ‘email@invalid.com’.

An override would be great since I know my mail server is working with other apps/clients.

Same issue and error message for me.

So, if I understand correctly, MailSpring tries to send a mail to email@invalid.com every time you add an account, to check if your configuration is correct. Some (most ?) email providers check if the domain exist prior to sending the mail. Thus, a lot of people can’t add any email account to Mailspring.

The french error message is “Le serveur SMTP ne relaie pas un message. Vous devrez peut-être vous authentifier. (SMTP)” (to help people searching it on Google)

Been a month, no activity from the devs and no updates. I have moved to EM-Client and it is very nice. I did really enjoy Mailspring, however if you run a business you can’t have stuff like this be an issue.

Hey @Ole92, this was fixed in 1.10.7 :grin:

Hi Glenn2223, I am using V 1.11.0 and I am having this exact issue. When I add a new mailbox “The SMTP server would not relay a message. You may need to authenticate. (SMTP)”
I followed the thread to the fix: SMTP fix - Community#1625 by glenn2223 · Pull Request #6 · Foundry376/Mailspring-Sync · GitHub
Downloaded the fix zip but I don’t know what to do with it?
Can you help please? Thank you

Hey @De-Animal, the fix was applied in v1.10.7 so the error you’re facing must be different. There are a few people who have had authentication issues in the past (for various reasons) it might be worth digging more. I think some providers - mainly outlook/exchange (more premium) services - are having issues because of a change in their integration methods.

Hi @glenn2223 , Can I send you a screenshot and error log? I am not using Outlook or Exchange, the tech guys wondered if Mailspring doesn’t like .com.au? But I need to try to narrow down the cause of the problem and hopefully resolve it. :grinning:

Hi @glenn2223 , a new update just came through V 1.11.0-6193b33c and I was able to add my new email account with no worries at all YAY.

Problem Solved.

Thanks for your help