Significant Lag on Large Threads

Description

Mailspring lags with particularly large email threads or reply histories (> 25-30 replies). Turning off spell check mitigates this somewhat, although not completely.

On the GitHub thread, drholera reported that on Ubuntu 20.04, a thread with 35+ messages freezes the app completely.

Additional Context

This bug has been reported to exist even in Nylas Mail, and is confirmed as of 2020.

mikolajzieba on GitHub provided a stack track:

[14840:0x305dbd921000]    48547 ms: Scavenge 2037.1 (2083.8) -> 2036.2 (2084.3) MB, 4.2 / 0.0 ms  (average mu = 0.259, current mu = 0.183) allocation failure 
[14840:0x305dbd921000]    48887 ms: Mark-sweep 2037.2 (2084.3) -> 2034.6 (2084.3) MB, 329.7 / 0.1 ms  (+ 135.2 ms in 284 steps since start of marking, biggest step 6.7 ms, walltime since start of marking 631 ms) (average mu = 0.379, current mu = 0.497) al

<--- JS stacktrace --->

==== JS stack trace =========================================

0: ExitFrame [pc: 0x563d0ee1cb2e]
Security context: 0x2e1b2a8477b9 <String[7]: file://>
    1: filter [0x2fb76fb24c81] [/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/immutable/dist/immutable.js:~4727] [pc=0x3b52f7391b60](this=0x191157487fd1 <Object map = 0x19700a5fa759>,0x2e1b2a820261 <JSFunction Boolean (sfi = 0x1b8c9069a5f1)>,0x12c2477026f1 <undefined>)
    2: arguments adaptor frame: 1->2
    3: joinAdjacentLists(aka joinAd...

Failed to get crash dump id.
Report Id: {"success":true}
Failed to get crash dump id.
Report Id: {"success":true}```

Is there any work related to this?
I have a thread with 88 emails on it, and growing, Mailspring doe snot permanently freezes, but it does take it some time to open it.

For me, generally viewing long thread is fine unless the quoted part of the email is not detected correctly by Mailspring so it displays everything instead of collapsing the quote.

What frustrated is when trying to reply to a long thread, Mailspring will froze that Iā€™d have to force quit it.

Also experiencing this. Makes Mailspring un-usable for me!

+1, I have the same problem here.

Any update on this? Mailspring is by far the best email client on Linux, but this issue makes it un-usable for me. I have very long threads with some customers.

Thank you!

Same here, itā€™s super slow. Itā€™s a shame Linux doesnā€™t have a great email client

Iā€™m bit by this exact issue over four different hardware configurations now, both Arch Linux and Mac OSX. I use a combination of gmail/self-hosted IMAP/google workspace. Whenever the threads start getting a bunch of replies, mailspring becomes unusable.

Can we do anything to assist in troubleshooting, enable more verbose debugging? Iā€™ve been tracking the old github issue for years but nothing ever came of it. Would gladly spend time troubleshooting and reproducing if I knew how!

Tried many things to fix this to no avail, just wondering if the community can prioiritze this in anyways? This is a breaking point feature for me and iā€™m sure many others as well.

1 Like

Having the same issue since the beginning, itā€™s really annoying, I have to wait for several minutes whenever I open a large threadā€¦ Sometimes the app gets completely frozen and Iā€™m forced to stop it.

The issue has been opened in 2019, when is it going to finaly be taken into account be Mailspringā€™s team? :frowning:

It was the best linux client until my thread have reached 35 replies. Now when I open the thread the program freezes and CPU works very hard and sometimes reaches 100%.

I was trying to show some mail thread which has only 22 replies. It got lag . Opened outlook web and shows. :yawning_face:

Think I have identified some ways of reducing the lag. Submitted a PR:

I saw that the unsubscribe link was causing MY hang on a thread. I saw that it was running some complex iterations to find unsubscribe links and decided to add a cache (as state changes made it do it all over again) and also ignore any links inside <blockquote> tags

I too also experience this issues with long threads. I think the thread number for me is 22 when Mailspring starts to lag.

Iā€™m running Kubuntu 20.04.5 and the Deb version of Mailspring 1.10.5-1ce06f18

My PR has been merged. You should hopefully see an improvement in 1.10.7

Quick question, are any of your messages in the thread a forward?

Unfortunately, the issue is still present on my side, even with the version 1.10.8 :frowning: