Account Set up fails with SMTP error

Although not strictly the same, this feature request is related: Make SMTP or IMAP optional (Read-only or Send-only accounts)

If I’m understanding you correctly, you want both IMAP and SMTP, but the two use different domains? Is that correct?

No, in my case we have the same server for IMAP and SMTP, but the mail server in question is for internal communication only. It’s configured to refuse to relay to any domains that are not specifically listed. So, it fails the test because the server refuses to send to ‘invalid.com’. I do not want to skip SMTP configuration. I guess our use case makes the SMTP test of mailspring fail leaving me unable to complete the account configuration. I would rate this as a bug, not a feature request.

Yeah this is definitely a bug, and a showstopper at that. I can’t add my gandi.net email to Mailspring because gandi.net’s SMTP server won’t send to a domain that doesn’t exist. So right off the bat, I can’t use Mailspring. Here’s the log when trying to setup a gandi.net email address…

----------SMTP----------
220 mail.gandi.net ESMTP Postfix
OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.1.0f  25 May 2017
init
EHLO ACER
250-mail.gandi.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 35651584
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
AUTH PLAIN ****
235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
MAIL FROM:<me@mydomain.com>
250 2.1.0 Ok
RCPT TO:<email@invalid.com>
450 4.1.2 <email@invalid.com>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found

SASL_PATH: 

SMTP Last Response Code: 450
SMTP Last Response: 4.1.2 <email@invalid.com>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found

As you can see, part of the account setup process is to send a test message to email@invalid.com, which fails because invalid.com isn’t a real domain so gandi’s SMTP server rejects it outright.

1 Like

Just a quick point on this one.

Outlook setup sends a setup/test email to the account being registered. I think this is what Mailspring should do (for this specific issue).

If one of the “big dogs” does this, I think it’s a safe bet. Not only that the domain being registered must be valid and the same domain/network, thus resolving both issues mentioned here

If I find time, I’ll see if I can submit a PR.

I’m getting the exact same problem when trying to setup my mailbox.org account - but what really puzzles me is that it worked just fine yesterday. Then after I did a clean reinstall of Win 11 I can’t even set it up (for what it’s worth I updated Windows to 22H2 - but everything else should be the same, i.e. same version of Mailspring (1.10.5)). The account works just fine with other clients.

I’d really appreciate it if a fix could be released soon.

The log message I’m getting (same as above):

----------SMTP----------
220 smtp102.mailbox.org ESMTP Postfix
OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.1.0f  25 May 2017
init
EHLO X-Surface
250-smtp102.mailbox.org
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 143699726
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-DSN
250 CHUNKING
AUTH PLAIN [redacted]
MAIL FROM:<me@mydomain.com>
250 2.1.0 Ok

SASL_PATH: 

SMTP Last Response: 4.1.2 <email@invalid.com>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
1 Like

I tried to update an account and I’m too now getting an error

I have submitted a PR here. Used the compiled DLL in my Windows PC and it worked.

You can compile my code and use the compiled mailcore2.dll to replace your old one, or you can take the one I have saved on a pretend release on my fork and use that. I’d recommend renaming the old one rather than replacing it, just in case.

In Windows, you can find the file to replace at C:\Users\[YOUR_USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Mailspring\app-1.10.5\resources\app.asar.unpacked/

Links
PR: SMTP fix [+ HELP] - Community#1625 by glenn2223 · Pull Request #6 · Foundry376/Mailspring-Sync · GitHub
FIXED DLL: Release Fixed DLL · glenn2223/Mailspring-Sync · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Glenn, your DLL works for me as well!

1 Like

Hey @bengotow/@Phylu , this seems to be a larger issue than first expected! Don’t know if there’s been some specification changes that are causing these issues now.

Hello there, I have the same problem with Elementary OS/ Ubuntu.

250 2.1.0 Ok

SASL_PATH: /usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar.unpacked

Some solution for Ubuntu users?

3 Likes

Hi,
Same issue on Mac M1 for SMTP configuration:

220 mail.gandi.net ESMTP Postfix
init
EHLO suppressed
250-mail.gandi.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 35651584
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
AUTH PLAIN []==
MAIL FROM:<suppressed>
250 2.1.0 Ok

SASL_PATH: 

So painful that I’m considering switching away from MailSpring. Such a shame

1 Like

to other client or other mailspring version?

@Katakurinna to other client… or any working version of MailSpring. We need a functioning IMAP and connection capability.
Any other version to recommend ? As log shows that the issue is not the SMTP authentification but the fact that our provider detects that the email@invalid.com relates to a non existing domain.

@cantgetthatping Talking with my company IT department, Its mailspring issue, so I installed BlueMail for now, its a good one, if I mailspring solve the issue I will check if I move back to mailspring.

1 Like

I’ve got the same problem with Mailspring trying to send an SMTP authentication to email@invalid.com and failing. I had to update the password on my email account and now this Mailspring bug has locked me out and I’ve had to revert to Thunderbird.

Help!!

Nick
Linux Mint.

Thanks a lot @glenn2223, your solution worked for me

1 Like

I have a similar issue Gmx not working, smtp error and it’s been 2 weeks i’d like to try mailspring and I cannot

gonna go with geary

Same error for me. Please fix this asap.

Same issue, cannot complete log in process in Ubuntu 20.04 in Mailspring 1.10.5:

RCPT TO:email@invalid.com
450 4.1.2 email@invalid.com: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found

same issue,
MacOS 12.6, Mailspring 1.10.5

The SMTP server would not relay a message. You may need to authenticate. (SMTP)

Enter your email account credentials to get started.Important: GMX requires that you enable IMAP before using email clients like Mailspring.
https://support.gmx.com/pop-imap/toggle.html

----------IMAP----------
connect <mailcore::IMAPSession:0x16f0f3510>
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 CHILDREN ENABLE ID IDLE LIST-EXTENDED LIST-STATUS LITERAL- MOVE NAMESPACE SASL-IR SORT SPECIAL-USE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT UIDPLUS UNSELECT WITHIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=PLAIN] IMAP server ready H migmx108 22.1.2 IMAP-1N5C61-1oz4K12ThN-0105aO
ssl connect imap.gmx.com 993 2
connect ok
login
1 LOGIN "leoric@gmx.com" "*********"
1 OK LOGIN completed
2 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 CHILDREN ENABLE ID IDLE LIST-EXTENDED LIST-STATUS LITERAL- MOVE NAMESPACE SASL-IR SORT SPECIAL-USE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT UIDPLUS UNSELECT WITHIN APPENDLIMIT=71303168
2 OK CAPABILITY completed
3 NAMESPACE
* NAMESPACE (("" "/")) NIL NIL
3 OK NAMESPACE completed
login ok
4 LIST "" "*"
* LIST (\Archive \HasNoChildren) "/" Archive
* LIST (\Drafts \NoInferiors) "/" Drafts
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" INBOX
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Notes
* LIST (\NoInferiors) "/" OUTBOX
* LIST (\Sent \NoInferiors) "/" Sent
* LIST (\Junk \NoInferiors) "/" Spam
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Starred
* LIST (\Trash \HasNoChildren) "/" Trash
* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" [Airmail]
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" [Airmail]/Done
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" [Airmail]/Memo
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "[Airmail]/Send Later"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" [Airmail]/Snooze
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "[Airmail]/To Do"
4 OK LIST completed

----------SMTP----------
connect mail.gmx.com 587
220 gmx.net (mrgmx005) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
init
EHLO LeMac.local
250-gmx.net Hello LeMac.local [ my ip address]
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 69920427
250 STARTTLS
start TLS
STARTTLS
220 OK
done
init after starttls
EHLO LeMac.local
250-gmx.net Hello LeMac.local [ my ip address]
250-8BITMIME
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250 SIZE 69920427
AUTH PLAIN <token here>
235 Authentication succeeded
MAIL FROM:<leoric@gmx.com>
250 Requested mail action okay, completed
451 Requested action aborted: local error in processing

SASL_PATH: 

SMTP Last Response Code: 451
SMTP Last Response: Requested action aborted: local error in processing

Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to apply this fix in Linux?

1 Like