šŸŽ· Alternatives to Mailspring - recommendations are welcome

Please donā€™t turn it into a ā€˜complaintā€™ thread ā€” Mailspring is a noble endeavor, and I would like to come back to it one day, but right now the amount of issues & bugs is just too overwhelming.

Recommend a good alternative to Mailspring. If youā€™ve tried it yourself, please note briefly how the experience compares to Mailspring.

I need something that can handle 8 inboxes & displays Gmail labels, these two are dealbreakers. Prefer to have a unified inbox option and a UIā€¦ less ugly/horrible than Thunderbirb or Outlook.

I rely on filters & labels to sort my mail, so I need to see them in the thread list:

I know many people are looking for a good Windows email client, so Iā€™ll list what Iā€™ve tested so far to help them as well:

1. Bluemail
  • Looks neat, supports multiple inboxes.
    ā€“ Doesnā€™t display labels, gets very resource-hungry with multiple inboxes.
    If you donā€™t have many inboxes - check this one out, might be a good alternative for you.
  1. Windows Mail
  • Simple, reliable, clean UI
    ā€“ Doesnā€™t display labels, no unified inbox (you can ā€˜joinā€™ the inboxes, but it really becomes just one inbox, no easy way to check them separately or distinguish the emails)
    Not as customizable as Mailspring, but kinda neat out of the box. Wish it showed labels.
  1. Thunderbirb
  • Could probably be set up to be fine if one spends enough time
    ā€“ Ugly, clunky, I hate it.
3 Likes

I should add: not limiting my search with free options, I donā€™t mind to pay for a good product.

2 Likes

Try Mailbird. Its quite good. Been using it for some time. Added bonus, Calendar.
Fair warning, I donā€™t use Labels. Prefer searching to sorting. Too much effort :slight_smile:

Many of us have jumped ship from Mailspring now as it is largely abandoned with the bugs and various issues increasing.

Iā€™ve returned to Thunderbird, simply because it just works - although isnā€™t perfect I must admit.

Iā€™ve tried pretty much all others before but eventually left all of them due to encountering some issue or another.

Newton has a clean interface; I enjoy it.

Ooooh never used Newton - checking it out, thanks :+1:

Iā€™ve tried everything mentioned here many times; keep going back to Mailbird for Win10 (bought the lifetime business w.a 75% discount), desktop Outlook is also coming along well* in the latest insider beta builds. But still a bit too much ā€˜noiseā€™ for me -overall. Newton, too basic. Spark has been ā€œcoming soonā€ to Windows for yrs; I no longer believe them. If it finally came, Iā€™d have to test heavily, but Iā€™d likely switch to it for ALL of my platforms/devices.

*Never thought Iā€™d say that!

Hi JeannĆ©tte, the best solution for you would be the paid version of eM Client. Iā€™ve been using it for a long time, since Mailspring canā€™t deliver what I need.

Mailbird and emclient are good rather better than Mailspring, but for itā€™s email tracking feature, which holds me back. None of other clients such as Newton, Windows mail, thunderbird etc have the same feature. Mailbird has partialy updated towards mail tracking

Over the years Iā€™ve tried many different email clients. Sparrow was my favorite, but Google killed it.

Iā€™m on Linux so my available options are even less that other platforms. Over the years Iā€™ve thought about building a client. Even as far back as the late 90ā€™s. I should have done it because still to this day there isnā€™t anything good.

So for me Mailspring is the best thing to use. I would use Thunderbird, but itā€™s just so ugly and cluttered. I guess it works well, but I canā€™t get past the interface.

1 Like

I am in the same as you, the lack of email clients on Linux is crazy. I was considering Newton, but i am a bit worried regarding their history and privacy.

I have even considered trying to get emClient working through Wine :smiley:

Yess yessā€¦ I loved MailSpring and Iā€™m so sad to let it go. But because of the continuous bugs, Iā€™m currently looking for a good free alternative. Iā€™m appreciative of this post.

Hola, una alternativa distinta a los que utilizan cuentas Gmail es https://simpl.fyi/ que hace de Gmail una mejor experiencia, foco y productividad. Es genial

Para quienes quieren un cliente de escritorio, ademƔs de Newton, una nueva experiencia es la que entrega https://www.yourtempo.co/

Un abrazo y suerte

I havenā€™t seen BlueMail listed here yet. Itā€™s free to use but closed-source but itā€™s the best Mailspring alternative Iā€™ve been able to find.

1 Like

Yeh, Iā€™ve got BlueMail installed on Windows 10. Itā€™s okay but lacking exceptional UX like for example, moving emails to folders is right mouse click ā†’ Move ā†’ Navigate to the folder.

When I primarily used it months ago, I came across various other things it didnā€™t do well which escape my memory right now. Itā€™s definitely a contender though, I just find it astonishing that nobody can just build a perfect email client that ticks all the boxes. I frustratingly always keep going back to Thunderbird which is also far from perfect and a bit clunky but it just has most features.

Opera 12.18 mail client user here. There hasnā€™t been an update for this for about 10 years and still pleased with it, but definitely time to find a new client. Cross-platform (Linux) is a must, as one of these days Windows will probably go.
First impressions of Mailspring 1.9.1 are quite favorable. Many things are well implemented and very easy to use, performance is great. No serious bugs found yet. Functionality limitations abound, but most of them seem acceptable. What I really hate is the ā€œfuzzyā€ rendering of fonts, no idea why this is so, both on an 1080 px full hd notebook and external 4k 25" screen

Another option Iā€™ve found for Linux is Pantheon Mail from Elementary OS. Iā€™m running the AUR version on Manjaro. It looks pretty good but it can be very sluggish. It used to crash constantly but it looks like an update fixed that problem. One annoying thing about Pantheon Mail is the conversation view is useless- you have to click in to each message to see the contents, making long conversations very difficult to read.

Fonts now sharp and clear with V1.9.2 on 2 different Windows devices for whatever reason. Main complaint goneā€¦

I need one I can filter and forward CERTAIN emails from. I get paid to forward certain types of email to a company, but itā€™s not a lot of money, so an expensive program would be a waste.
Thunderbird has turned into a nightmare for this. Any hints to a good program would be appreciated.
Iā€™m just trying to supplement my income.
Thanks

I have finally pulled the plug and cancelled my MailSpring renewal this time around. Iā€™ve been paying for five years with the hope that the developer would get his act together, but he wants the best of both worlds - he wants to charge people for it while still treating it like a side project. Iā€™d gladly pay twice as much for this product if it worked and was properly supported in a timely manner, and I also receive world class support from other products for which I pay far less. But no matter how the economics work out, Ben needs to either charge what he needs to and see if the market supports it, or abandon the product and stop charging for it. Iā€™ve watched for YEARS now as support gets worse and worse, and the damage the product does to my business when it breaks is no longer worth the features.

Iā€™m sad to lose link tracking, and Iā€™m sad to lose Gmail labels, but Iā€™ve moved to Mailbird and am otherwise satisfied with it in virtually every way. I do miss the ability to change between signatures from a dropdown, but Iā€™ve been using Mailbird on the side for almost as long as Iā€™ve been using MailSpring for my primary accounts, and Iā€™ve seen them continually improve and listen to feedback. And most importantly, they have a support TEAM.

Even the guy who liked to attack anyone who suggested MailSpring is dead has moved on, so I think itā€™s pretty safe to say that yeah, MailSpring is dead.

1 Like