App link stopped working when updating from 1.8 to 1.9.1

Description

App links (mailpring://…) stopped working for me when switching from 1.8.1 to 1.9.1 (I skipped 1.9).

I am on Gnome Manjaro, update as of 2021-04-21. Clicking on an app link brings forth Mailpring, but then the linked thread is not displayed. I am using the AUR Mailpring version, with a custom modification to the build file to ensure that release 1.9.1 is used.

To Reproduce…

1. Copy a mailbox permalink
  2. Paste it on another app (e.g. href in a web page)
  3. Click on the link

Expected Behavior

Focus should switch to the Mailspring app and the linked thread should be displayed.

Screenshots

Not strictly necessary in this case.

Setup

• OS: Gnome Manjaro, rolling relaese, last update 2021-04-21
  • Installation methods: AUR version AUR (en) - mailspring with the fix suggested in the comment to ensure that v 1.9.1 is employed
  • Mailspring Version: 1.9.1-30ef802f

Additional Context

No extra context seems to be relevant

Hey @lompabo, great to hear from you! This definitely sounds like a regression. We should probably check and see whether the mailspring:// link functionality has been impacted for other folks outside of the custom AUR distribution. It /seems/ like the custom package wouldn’t cause this, but I’ll take a look!

I have an update on this: the problem disappears if I login using my mailspring account. Are permanent thread links supposed to need the external server? Intuitively a mailpring login does not seem to be strictly necessary for app links to work. Perhaps they are supposed to be part of the premium features?

Ahh interesting - it definitely looks like that’s the problem! We have code the generates the mailbox permalinks outside of the thread sharing plugin, but they’re handled as part of the broader “share to web” pro feature. I’ll see if there’s a way we can splice that code out of the plugin, it just searches your mailbox for the thread by timestamp + subject line, so it doesn’t require a Mailspring ID.

Ok this should be resolved in the next release by Handle mailbox permalinks outside of the thread-sharing plugin · Foundry376/Mailspring@2b89469 · GitHub, thanks for reporting @lompabo!

Thanks to you!

BTW: your permalinks rock :slight_smile: I use them in my todo app and I don’t need to search for lost emails anymore!

Hey all. I’m experiencing this same phenomena. I have mailspring 1.9.2. I’m on Fedora and I installed mailspring via flatpak. When I click on the “mailspring://*” link it, the focus shifts to mailspring, but it does not jump me to the specific email pointed to by the permalink.