Cannot setup IMAP account - smtp check fails

Hi, I would like to test Mailspring for my company. I can’t create an imap account for my mail server, because my smtp check fails.
External forwarding is closed on my server, mail forwarding is possible only within the domain. Mailspring, apparently, when verifying an account, tries to send an email to email@invalid.com and naturally receives acces denied from the server. On this I get a softlock and I cannot skip this stage.

Version: 1.7.8-13635bcf

----------SMTP----------
220 mail.test.net ESMTP Postfix
OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.1.0f 25 May 2017
init
EHLO RDS-2
250-mail.test.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 100000000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
AUTH PLAIN **************
235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
MAIL FROM:test@test.net
250 2.1.0 Ok
RCPT TO:email@invalid.com
554 5.7.1 test@test.net: Sender address rejected: Access denied

SASL_PATH:

SMTP Last Response Code: 554
SMTP Last Response: 5.7.1 test@test.net: Sender address rejected: Access denied

(Originally posted by vfeshenko on GitHub.)

I just installed mailspring and wanted to setup an imap account.

but during setup it failed by trying to send a mail to email@invalid.com … WTF? Why is it trying to send a testmail to an invalid mailaddress which obviousy will fail!

---------SMTP----------
220 mail.hostinprovider.com ESMTP Speedbone Mailservice
EHLO soldberg
250-mail.hostinprovider.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 71303168
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 8BITMIME
AUTH CRAM-MD5
334 PDQ1OTUxMTI1MjQzMTIwOTguMTUyMTQ1NDI0OEBtYWlsMDE+
amFuQGdpZWJlbHMuYml6IGMzNzE2ZDcwMDc5ZjY0MTQzNzg1NDBhMDA1ODQyM2M5
235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
MAIL FROM:xx@xxxxxx.com
250 2.1.0 Ok
577 5.1.1 email@invalid.com: Recipient address rejected: undeliverable address: host gw-mail4.jodoshared.com[173.0.129.9] said: 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1) (in reply to RCPT TO command)

SMTP Last Response Code: 577

SMTP Last Response: 5.1.1 email@invalid.com: Recipient address rejected: undeliverable address: host gw-mail4.jodoshared.com[173.0.129.9] said: 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1) (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Any solutions to this or am i just oing something completly wrong?

Thanks

Jan

(Originally posted by Conspir3D on GitHub.)

Hey! So I actually hadn’t looked in to how the libmailcore library we use “verifies” SMTP connections, but it looks like this behavior is expected:

image (mailcore2/MCSMTPSession.cpp at 260c91078bef3d04b6b5e0de65ad56d58a9ac4bc · MailCore/mailcore2 · GitHub)

It seems that when we try to validate your SMTP credentials, a standard part of that is trying to issue a rcpt command and making sure you aren’t blocked. This seems strange to me though… not sure what a good fix would be. Oddly it doesn’t seem like there are any complaints on the mailcore2 repo…

(Originally posted by bengotow on GitHub.)

A good fix would be to turn off SMTP verification with a checkbox as an option, as i can see in the log, the credentials are correct :wink:

I just don’t understand how someone could use a hardcoded mailaddress in a generic library!?

Maybe these threads can give further informations:

(Originally posted by Conspir3D on GitHub.)

This might be resolvable by implementing this feature: Make SMTP or IMAP optional (Read-only or Send-only accounts)

Duplicates:

I’m having this issue right now. My email account is a domain I own - had no issues setting it up in other mail clients. Is there something I can do in cPanel to fix it?

I’m having this issue right now trying to connect to a private server.

Weird thing is that it worked well before, but I changed the password and had to update the login details and:

450 4.1.2 email@invalid.com: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found

Maybe I’ll somehow try to remove that behavior from libmailcore that @bengotow pointed out and compile it from source (although I have no idea how) because I’m limited in the choice of mail clients and honestly, I cannot for the life of me make Thunderbird useful.

I saw that there was a PR for a fix with a modified DLL for Windows, sadly I cannot apply that fix since I’m using Ubuntu. Any pointers on how I could fix this on a private fork and repack it as a .deb would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Mint:
Got round the problem by using a hex editor to change the string email@invalid.com to my own email address in /usr/share/mailspring/mailsync.bin. I’ve got a short address, so could do it without changing the length of the address - don’t know if that would cause it to fail.