Contacts: Specify custom CardDAV service

I would like to use my ownCloud CardDAV service for the contacts, but don’t find a place where to enter its URL and credentials.

(Originally posted by Tamriel on GitHub.)

(Original post had 10 upvotes.)

Hey! There isn’t a way to do this currently, but we’ll probably add it when the full calendar launches later this year. In the meantime, if your CardDAV server and your IMAP server share username / password settings, you can tell Mailspring where your CardDAV server is using the SRV record standard. If your email address is me@example.com , edit your DNS records for example.com and add a SRV record (_carddavs._tcp.example.com => your carddav server domain ). That will actually allow Mailspring and (almost) all other CardDav apps to find your server without further configuration! The same exists for _caldavs._tcp.example.com for calendar.

(Originally posted by bengotow on GitHub.)

Not sure if this warrants a separate feature request but additionally, the following two related features would be nice:

1. Be able to fetch contacts from a gmail account even if the the gmail account is not being used for emails in Mailspring
  2. Be able to fetch contacts from Mac OS X built in Contacts app. Note that this option is available in Thunderbird’s Address Book where one can find the Mac OS X Address Book

(Originally posted by tvercaut on GitHub.)

1. Be able to fetch contacts from Mac OS X built in Contacts app. Note that this option is available in Thunderbird’s Address Book where one can find the Mac OS X Address Book

I’d like to request this as well. I can understand other users would like built-in contact/calendar features for Mailspring, but I only use it as a dedicated mail app. I’d prefer all contacts to come from the macOS Contacts app (which stores contacts in iCloud, separate to my email accounts). At the moment (for me at least), email autocompletion is a complete mess in Mailspring, and I’m constantly double-checking that Mailspring isn’t going to send an email to a random person I received an email from 7 years ago.

(Originally posted by kirkbeard on GitHub.)

1 Like

I voted it up but wanted to weigh in as well. I had been using offlineimap and neomutt for email, alongside vdirsyncer with khal to manage my addressbook, so I could sync my NextCloud address book across devices and use it as my email’s primary address book.

I’m excited to switch to a GUI email client, but I definitely miss having my full CardDav address book available to me in Mailspring

1 Like

Seconding that. I also use Nextcloud for my address book, and I wish that were available in Mailspring. Definitely an area that would be good to see polished up in the nearish future.

1 Like

It is super annoying that this doesn’t work yet. And it’s not just a nuisance.

I have an email address for “Ari” but they’ve specifically asked me to use a different address for work. I can update my Nextcloud address book and have it sync to my phone and tablet and I always have their preferred “work” and “home” addresses. Only Mailspring keeps making me update it. I can’t even keep track of which one I’m supposed to use so I keep aggravating Ari by using the wrong address.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you can help, but I’ve tried doing this with my DNS provider and it doesn’t seem to work. Here’s what the record looks like:

Thank you.

It is like selling a high end mobile phone, and for the lack of a contacts app adding a paper phonebook. How can this not be tackeled yet. It is not a minor thing. Ppl have phones and ipads and other computers. They have to update Mailspring with new contacts and changes all the time. That renders Mailspring totally useless imho, even though it is the best looking app around.

I thought I was stupid and just couldn’t find the option, so sure was I it can’t be that this sleek app misses this basic functionality. And the first requests date back to 2019! It is 2024 now… Oh well… Canary it is.