I have used Mailspring for years and use it for six different email accounts. Just yesterday, my primary business email account stopped syncing “Encountered an error while syncing”. I have reauthorized the account several times and uninstalled and reinstalled mailspring, which I’m not sure was done properly since upon reopening it I didn’t have to reconnect any accounts, it just opened as usual—with the sync problem. All the other accounts are syncing just fine.
I have not made any changes to either the program or the email account since last sync.
It happens every time I try to sync but all the other accounts are working properly. I’m not sure how you would reproduce the problem.
- OS and Version: 12.6.5
- Installation Method: downloaded off the website
- Mailspring Version: Version 1.11.0 (1.11.0)