Exit on X button with no Minimize to Tray

This is basically a must for every app.
I don’t want it running in the background.

Or in more detail:
An option to exit the process when i press the X-Button instead of hiding the window.
That’s what the “–” Button is for, you know? We don’t need a second one of those!

1 Like

Well, I would not kind of like that behaviour. Actually, it should depend on an option if on closing Mailspring should minimise to tray.

So the basic rules most of the apps abide are:

• the _ button minimises the window to panel (the window is still open);
  • the x button:
    • [enabled minimise to tray] closes the window, but the app is still running in the background and is accessible from systray;
    • [disabled minimise to tray] closes the window and quits the app (no background running).

Also most apps follow the following keyboard shortcuts:

• Ctrl+W: closes the current window; if it is the last/only window of an app, it behaves as clicking on the x button (see above);
  • Ctrl+Q: quits app (the state of the minimise to tray option does not matter).

You just repeated what I’ve suggested. An option to exit the process on X. No forced behavior.

Yeah, but with a subtle difference: make it dependent on the minimise to tray setting. Here is the relevant portion of my previous comment:

the x button:

• [enabled minimise to tray] closes the window, but the app is still running in the background and is accessible from systray;
  • [disabled minimise to tray] closes the window and quits the app (no background running).

I would have expected the X-Button to work just as @tukusejssirs described it. However, even when “Show icon in menu bar / system tray” is disabled, the X does not quit the application, but rather minimizes it.

My suggestion would be to follow the proposal:

However, I am not sure if there is any reason for the current behaviour.

Related issues

Implementation in progress as of:

The PR has been merged and will be included in the next release. Please open a new issue here, should this arise again.