Hide/Show/Compact Left Panel — Account/Folders Pane

In the message list/pane, there is quite a bit of excess space (when using Reading Pane mode). I would like the ability to compact the message list while in reading pane mode. Essentially, I would just like to be able to see more emails at once while in reading panel mode (the way you are able to in single panel mode). This could be accomplished either via sacrificing the message contents completely or just reducing the height of each email (or both). I believe this would be the view to use for ultimate productivity.

Also, is this something that could be accomplished with a custom theme? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

(Originally posted by mph-code on GitHub.)

Hey @IAmMateo! You should be able to do this actually if you move the divider so that the left panel is wider, like this. I think right now it switches at 550px, and we should probably just make this a preference instead.

(Originally posted by bengotow on GitHub.)

2 Likes

There’s a similar issue to hide/show the left pane.

Yes! Please!! I would love to see a Hide/Show feature in the Preferences for the left panel sidebar. Most times, I have no use for it since I keep everything in my Inbox. Thanks!

If you’d like to see this, please vote for this Feature Suggestion at the top. That will influence prioritization.

1 Like

I’m interested in this too!

I tried the above suggestion to simply widen the message list to get 1-line messages, and it’s an improvement, but actually I like the narrow format because it gives more space to read messages.

Also, the current “wide” layout doesn’t behave like a true list box, i.e. you can’t resize the borders between the sender column and the subject column to show more subject on a smaller screen. The sender column width appears to be fixed.

What I want is the ability to use the “narrow” message list view but remove the message preview from the display entirely. In practice message previews are rarely helpful because so little text is visible there. They end up being clutter. The sender is the most important thing and the subject is usually enough to differentiate threads.