High RAM usage (multiple GB)

Description

I read about other reports of “high” RAM usage around 300MB, but what I’m seeing often is multiple GB in use by the main process when the client is idle. I don’t know what’s causing it but I doubt that’s necessary. In this particular case (screenshot), the main process is constantly using 4.7GB when it is not syncing and the inbox is empty with no emails open. I do have multiple email accounts logged in.

To Reproduce…

It’s hard to reproduce – I can’t really point the action that causes it, but this happens nearly every day. After some time (a few hours to a couple of days) of normal usage, (a few emails received and open, syncing multiple accounts) I notice the used memory spanning multiple GB and not going down until the process is terminated.

After a fresh start (new process) and first sync, the memory usage of the main process goes back to its normal 100-200 MB levels.

Expected Behavior

RAM usage to remain around a few hundreds of MB or eventually regressing to this level after a resource-intensive task.

Screenshots

ram

Setup

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 21.04
Release: 21.04
Codename: hirsute
  • Installation Method: .deb
  • Mailspring Version: 1.9.2-6e14dad1 (latest as of time of writing)

Additional Context

I have 5 email accounts synced across Gmail, Yahoo, and Outlook providers, but no resource-intensive task that I see would justify this usage of RAM. I could not replicate it by doing simple tasks (opening and writing emails, emptying spam, saving drafts, etc), I suspect that this gradually happens after hours of consistent usage and allocation of memory that is not freed.

I see exactly the same (Kubuntu 21.04, deb install of MS 1.9.2) - over a day or two, Mailspring’s memory use goes up and up. I’ve just got used to quitting and restarting it every so often to bring it under control. Which isn’t great - there’s clearly a memory leak. Unfortunately, these are famously hard to fix. :angry:

1 Like

For people who’ve encountered this problem, you can (on Linux desktops, at least) add a memory-usage widget to your taskbar so you can keep an eye on your RAM use. I do this and kill Mailspring manually whenever it seems to get out of hand.

I’m getting some pretty significant memory leaks on macOS lately…

Hi everyone,

Also noticing 2GiB-3.5GiB of RAM usage from Mailspring alone (3 mailboxes, 1 Gmail, 2 IMAP/SMTP). Getting way too far out of hand, I’m lucky to have systems with 16GiB-32GiB of RAM, but this is still outrageous. This needs to be addressed ASAP.

Linux Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4 LTS - Mailspring 1.9.2
Thanks,

Tmanok

Adding onto this:

Mailspring which has been sitting idle on my computer is often running with 2.8GB of RAM usage or higher.

Manjaro Linux, kernel 5.15, Mailspring 1.9.2

Its now 2023, my usage is 16.X Gbyte, I have three mailboxes. Its also so slow that I can’t use it any more which is really annoying.

Apr 25th, 2024. Memory leak showing upwards of 15GB when running from package grabbed from the AUR.