Hotmail/Outlook.com fails to sync after adding as new account

Problem

I tried adding my Outlook.com account as a new account, as I needed to be able to send emails from that account and see when they are read. For more than 12 hours now, I have been getting the error:

One or more accounts are having connection issues

Being on a low income Mailspring is the only service I pay a subscription for nowadays, and with a bug like this for something that should be fundamental I’m starting to wonder what the point is if it fails when I really need it. Of course, clicking the “Show progress” or “View log” links don’t work either, and at this stage it’s not even certain that what I want to do - add Outlook\.com as a new account - is going to happen because it doesn’t show under the dropdown.

I didn’t even want Mailspring to download my messages, and would actually prefer that it didn’t - all I wanted was to be able to quickly send an email from a second account while using the read receipts feature, but Mailspring seems to have decided to go ahead and grab all my emails anyway and then fail in the process of doing so.

• OS and Version: Windows 10 20H2
  • Installation Method: .exe
  • Mailspring Version: 1.8.0