iCloud App-Specific Passwords: Authentication Failure

Problem

Upon generating an app-specific password through appleid.apple.com, I enter this into the password field and iCloud still returns an authentication failure. I’ve tried both iCloud and IMAP “Add Account” options, and tried both app-specific and iCloud master passwords, with no luck. I see others had this issue in 2021 and 2022 based on previous support requests, but neither seem resolved.

I’ve spoken with Apple Support and they insist that it’s a Mailspring issue, however at the very end of a 45-minute call with Apple, the woman informed me that “Apple is moving toward only allowing app-specific passwords for Apple products, not 3rd party apps.”

Context

Easy to reproduce:

  1. Download Mailspring: getmailspring.com
  2. Generate an app-specific password: appleid.apple.com
  3. Add account in Mailspring and select iCloud
  4. Enter your creds (name, email, pass)
  5. Submission gives the auth error
    —
  6. Try the IMAP instead of iCloud option when adding an account
  7. Submission gives the auth error
    –
  8. Try both options above using iCloud master password instead of the app-specific password
  9. Submission gives the auth error

Email Provider

Apple iCloud

Setup

  • OS and Version: MacOS Sonoma 14.0
  • Installation Method: Installer
  • Mailspring Version: Version 1.11.0 (1.11.0)

Exact same thing on Windows 11.

Same here, Win 11 pro, latest Mailspring and icloud or imap acccount cannot added. Log show login ok…