Mail Getting Stuck In Outbox

Description

When an email is sent, perhaps with Send Later, and then the program is stopped (e.g. laptop lid closed), the email does not send.

This may be connected to a previously closed bug. All three are linked at the bottom of this issue.

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Compose an email
  2. Send later for tomorrow morning
  3. Close your laptop and go to bed
  4. Start working in the morning w/ Mailspring open - at least some of the time, the email simply never goes out. It just stays in my drafts folder saying “sending in a few seconds”. The only way to get it to send is to re-open the draft and send immediately

(Reproduction steps provided by palefire19 on GitHub.)

Expected Behavior

Screenshots

(Screenshot provided by palefire19 on GitHub.)

Setup

(From the most recent confirmation. Appears on other systems.)

• OS and Version: Fedora 33
  • Mailspring Version: 1.7.8-13635bcf

Additional Context

In-house exchange server accessed through IMAP and SMTP. Didn’t find why it happens. Seems to happen mostly when the laptop lost the connection then get it back. Mailspring seems to not get it back.
-ploum

Still happening. I confirm: “currently sending” spinner keeps turning and turning infinitely.
What operating system are you using? Fedora 33
What version of Mailspring are you using? 1.7.8-13635bcf
No plugins, happens with Gmail
In parralel I have the issue #156. That might be linked?
I also had undo send enabled. I saw that Palefire19 suggested in bug #336 that it might be linked. Testing if it works now.

ploum speculated: “Didn’t find why it happens. Seems to happen mostly when the laptop lost the connection then get it back. Mailspring seems to not get it back.”
He might be right.
Speculating myself: A connection error (in my case that happens after every sleep (laptop) since Wifi takes some time to reconnect) messes up the authentification process and thereby the sync and send functions (I continue to receive mal, though).

(Originally posted by matthiasheuser on GitHub.)