Mailspring auto-updates without user consent

Description

Dismissing the notification about new Mailspring version has no effect–Mailspring auto-updates itself upon restart without asking the user.

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Install Mailspring 1.7.6
  2. Receive notification about new version (1.7.7)
  3. Hit Dismiss (not Update)
  4. Restart Mailspring

Expected Behavior

Mailspring should just start

Screenshots

Mailspring silently auto-updates itself to 1.7.7.

Setup

• OS and Version: Windows 10 Version 2004
  • Mailspring Version: 1.7.6

Additional Context

This is unacceptable behavior–if the user did not consent to auto-update, it should not happen. There might be valid reasons, e.g. work-stopping bugs like this one that would make the user want to stay with the older version till the bug is fixed.

I was looking for a setting to disable the auto-update behavior, but there does not seem to be any–did I miss something?

Found a workaround:

cd %LOCALAPPDATA%\Mailspring
del Update.exe

(Originally posted by kzadora on GitHub.)

Hey! Thanks for reporting this—I’m taking a look at that bug you referenced today.

I’ll see if we can support unsubscribing from updates in the future, but in the past (for less showstopping bugs), this behavior has been super important.

I’m the only maintainer of Mailspring and moving the entire user base to the latest version of the app lowers support / github issue volume tremendously because I don’t have to deal with people emailing me about bugs that have already been fixed. I actually spent a few months integrating the app with Snapcraft on linux so that this same “auto-update within 24 hours” behavior works across major linux distros. It’s been a lifesaver.

(Originally posted by bengotow on GitHub.)

@bengotow thanks for quick reply! I totally see why auto-updating by default is better for pretty much everybody and I would not mind reasonably frequent nudge to update if running an old version (e.g. once a week?) My point is just that if I choose not to update, the program should respect my choice.

I love Mailspring BTW. Let me know if I can help with anything

(Originally posted by kzadora on GitHub.)

I have just had this same problem a year after the first report as soon as I installed from stable V1.9.2 to V1.10.0. Same popup box and no matter what you do it just keeps poping up. Tried removing the program and then reinstalling V1.10.0. Same action.

I had to kill the process with task manager and reinstall V1.9.2. As long as I keep Mailspring running everything is fine but as soon as I turn off the computer and turn it on again V1.9.2 automatically upgrades to V1.10.0 and the same problem returns where I have to kill the program and reinstall V1.9.2 to access my hotmail.

I have done the above “fix” of deleting Update.exe with no effect. The update automatically is triggered on startup. It would be nice to have a NO update option to toggle even if it’s hidden somewhere. I’m happy with running V1.9.2 at least for now until the V1.10.0 auto update is fixed or another new release is launched although it’s a real pain having to spend time every day reverting to V1.9.2. Thanks

My mailspring updated to V1.10.0. several days ago and seemed to be working fine until a Windows10 auto update yesterday - ( KB4023057 & KB5011487). My money is on Microsoft being the culprits!