Make Threading/Conversation View Optional

Some users prefer to see each email individually, instead of threading/conversation view.

Because Mailspring connects directly to IMAP providers, it should be posible to implement a message-based mailbox view in the future. However, it seems a large number of people prefer conversation-style threading.

If you want to see conversation view made optional, please vote for this issue.

I actually use Mailspring as my primary email client for personal email and have considered going to the Pro version. However not being able to turn off the default email threading behavior is a significant pain in the rear for me. I go to delete the obligatory “Thank you” from a message thread and wind up deleting the entire thread. ugh… For me and the way I work threaded view is just horrible and the primary reason I stopped using gmail eons ago.

10 Likes

I’ve moved your post to the feature request. Please vote for this feature if you’d like to see it implemented.

4 Likes

Most modern email clients have this feature, even when working with Gmail.

Mailspring has become my email client of choice, and I won’t give it up, but I prefer to have al emails listed by date, and not threaded, a flat view, everything at hand.

Vote for this PLEASE.

9 Likes

Agree with above comment, all modern day email applications allow this feature, it would be great if this feature could be added

3 Likes

I just checked my Gmail acct which has an option to DISABLE Conversation/Thread. Mine is checked OFF in an attempt to disable the thread, so why is MS forcing a thread view when Gmail has an option to disable??? Please address. Thank you.

4 Likes

In the GMail setting, you’re controlling how the GMail client displays the emails (threaded or not). It doesn’t do anything to the underlying emails themselves - they still have the threading information in them (it’s created when the email is composed), which is just as well in case you ever turn the setting back on in GMail. Mailspring needs its own matching setting, totally agreed.

2 Likes

Voted for this feature, but am uninstalling Mailspring. I can’t have it hiding emails from me. When you get automated emails from Paypal for example, they always have the same subject so it is grouping together important emails showing when I’ve received money.

Shame, I was really enjoying Mailspring until this point, but not having the option to switch off is a hard pass for me.

4 Likes

Hi, new user here - I would like to vote for this feature. How do I do this? Yes, I too hate having emails grouped in conversations. Much prefer each email showing individually.

3 Likes

If you scroll to the top of this page, you’ll see at the top left a blue button that says “Vote”, below the counter showing the number of votes already recorded for this feature. Click the button to record your vote!

3 Likes

Thanks @JohnP !! So obvious I missed it! Incidentally does anyone know if there’s any progress with this feature and when it may be implemented, if at all? Thank you.

1 Like

I’ve disabled both gmail’s (gsuite) & outlook (hotmail) conversation feature, would be nice to not have it forced on mailspring too.

2 Likes

Hi, any updates to this? I really loved Mailspring when I gave it a try about a month back but had to go back to Thunderbird due to the forced threaded conversations which won’t let me archive sent/received emails separately from a thread :frowning:

2 Likes

Same here. I think mailspring is very promising but without the option of turning off threaded conversations I’m going to stick with thunderbird or evolution.

3 Likes

+1 vote for option to remove threaded view. Personally, I find the treaded view confusing; but then I do have a very small brain :wink:

2 Likes

@mushroom-daddy don’t beat yourself over finding threaded conversations confusing – they in fact become messy for everyone when different messages get clubbed together because the subject line and participants were the same.

3 Likes

YES please! I don’t want to have to review pages and pages of emails spanning months when I already know the date of the email I’m looking for. Threading just makes an email into an Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit (and not in a good way) - too much bloat. It makes archival and retrieval a REAL pain - and it makes the earlier emails as inline emails which means formatting just looks awful. It should be a simple “click off” thing in the preferences. I do like this email program though :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes, yes, that’s exactly that. I want to delete my stuff individually at least. At first, I thought that it was just the default view so I began to search everywhere… Just to realize that, it doesn’t exist. I don’t think I ever came across an email client that only have the conversation view…

For me too, it’s the biggest flaw, the balance is quite well tight.

Thank you in advance.

3 Likes

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!! :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

I would really like this feature. (To turn off threaded conversations). Is there any chance it may be implemented soon? Please???

2 Likes