Moved messages are not in the unread section

Hey, I’m using the mail rules quite extensively. Recently, I came across the issue, that

• moved emails don’t appear in the “unread” section even though I never read it
  • moved emails do not cause a desktop notification on Ubuntu

This makes me miss a new email. The only way I currently see to find out about those new emails is to check every folder I have by clicking on them. This is really time consuming. When mails are not moved, they cause notifications and are displayed in the “unread” section.

My rules are set up in a way, that they only move messages. There is no “mark as read” in the actions.

Am I doing something wrong?
How to change this behavior?

I’m thankful for any help. I really need to get that solved. Otherwise I’ll have to switch the mail tooling which I’d prefer not to, because Mailspring is very nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I noticed the exact same issue. I have a lot of automated messages coming into my inbox and I would like to move them to a dedicated folder for example for messages coming from Github.

But the fact that moving them with rules also marks them as read, makes it really hard to track new messages. I was also trying to find an action Mark them as unread.

In the meantime, I found a workaround (to recognize new mails but not to receive the notification).

There is this option “Show unread counts for all folders / labels” in the general settings.
When I check this, there is a number appearing next to each folder about how many unread messages I have.

So, it seems, that for Mailspring, these messages are somewhat unread, but they do not appear in the unread section. The desktop notifications still do not work. But at least I can work now, without having to check every folder each time I open Mailspring.

I hope, this is helpful for anyone :slight_smile: