MSN sync terrible

It doesn’t exist. It works for a session, but when I sign back on, I get red Cannot Authenticate errors. What’s going on? I cannot use this app anymore.

Yes me too!

I think this marking as “URGENT!”

No help? I’ve tried all your suggestions, including trying to sign in as an IMAP account, and it doesn’t work. If you know you’re having a problem with MSN accounts, at least tell us: it’s the decent thing to do.

Asnwer:

cheex

5d

Activate 2FA in your Microsoftaccount ( https://account.live.com ), then go to Security->advanced security and create an AppPassword . Then remove the old outlook account from mailspring and create a new one (Outlook, not Outlook365),
You can try to update the old account password but I am quite sure it will fail because the settings are still for IMAP and not the (now) required App registration.

OAuth requirements by Microsoft blocking login for greater security. https://oauth.net/getting-started

I’ve tried that, many many times. This is the error I get:

connect mailcore::IMAPSession:0x16f4c3420

• OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready. [QgBOADAAUABSADAAMgBDAEEAMAAwADAAOAAuAG4AYQBtAHAAcgBkADAAMgAuAHAAcgBvAGQALgBvAHUAdABsAG8AbwBrAC4AYwBvAG0A]
    ssl connect imap-mail.outlook.com 993 2
    1 CAPABILITY
  • CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=XOAUTH2 SASL-IR UIDPLUS MOVE ID UNSELECT CHILDREN IDLE NAMESPACE LITERAL+
    1 OK CAPABILITY completed.
    connect ok
    login
    2 LOGIN “Loomis_85@msn.com” *********
    2 NO LOGIN failed.

This is using the passweord generated by the email account.

A side note, microsoft selling storage (game) after subsuming data in outlook mail attachments after abandoning “Microsoft Mail App”.
Onedrive market either boomed or crashed. alt. mail free providers are at odds with market capture.

Imagine mailspring application, logging in at your behest, grabbing “your” mail from microsoft.
It just isn’t in MS (bios)sphere to share resources anymore.

Hey folks, thanks for reporting this – It looks like Microsoft recently started requiring “Modern Authentication” for Outlook accounts, which is what Mailspring already uses for Office365. Could you try connecting your Outlook / Hotmail account using the “Office 365” option (by going through the “Add Account” flow again)

I believe that’ll do the trick - if so please let me know! Maybe we can merge the Outlook and Office365 options entirely.