My mail rules are being ignored

I have a lot of rules set up, mostly to funnel new messages into a couple of core categories:

• Alerts (Notifications from Trello, Basecamp, Slack, Google Docs)
  • Forums (Discussion lists and groups)
  • Invitations (Automated notices from Google Calendar and Calendly)
  • News (Newsletters and briefings I subscribe to)
  • Promo (Marketing mail)

I’ve started noticing that some messages are not being sorted according to the rules and I can’t even begin to figure out why not. For example, the NYT mailer should be going into Newsletters:

But once in a while it just doesn’t get filtered:

Is there any reason why this would be happening or a way to audit the filters at all?

Anyone else experienced issues with some mail rules not working…?

Not raising as a bug just yet as it would be interesting to see what others have noticed.

I’ve only got about 7 or 8 rules set up at the moment and they just don’t affect some emails but do others…

For example:-

From contains @domain.tld
Subject contains domain.tld
Move to label

Something as simple as this applies to some emails and doesn’t others.

I wondered if it might be something to do with if in the subject, the domain.tld contained a backslash (/) but I changed this and it still didn’t apply.

Like should:-

domain.tld match www.domain.tld
domain.tld match domain.tld/

I’ve got no idea but it’s a bit of a nuisance not knowing why the rules don’t work for some emails.

@zigojacko This is a known bug; I’ve migrated your post. Please Vote for this issue at the top to help raise its priority. (You can vote for it too, @amandabee. Voting for your own posts is A-OK!)

1 Like

Ah sorry, I didn’t realise it had already been reported and I did check other suggested posts that came up before posting so not sure why this one didn’t show.

I hope that other users can get voting on this asap as it’s kinda useless functionality not working properly as it is. Anyhow, I’ve voted above.

To be honest, in general I’d usually recommend server-side rules rather than client-side, so that the rules are consistently applied regardless of if you have Mailspring running or not (eg if your computer is off and you’re using an email client on your phone)

2 Likes

I voted for this, but to reiterate the claim, I’m also having an issue with rules. For some reason it’s not all of my rules, just some don’t apply to the email at all. Thanks

Do you have any sources or guides that can help with this? When I look it up the ones I’m finding are Outlook related even though the emails I need are not Outlook. Anything helps, thank you!

I also wound up just going back to my mail host because the filters in Mailspring aren’t consistent. Your options depend on who is hosting your email. Filters/Rules are relatively easy to find in Gmail.

I use Dreamhost for some things, so their filters are documented at https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215030678

1 Like

I’m having a similar issue. I’m using rules extensively (probably 100+ rules) to sort mails into dozens of different folders on 3 accounts. The filters seems to work well when it filters messages sent “from” a certain address (i.e. a newsletter from a certain website).

When I create a filters with messages sent “to” a certain address, i.e. mailing lists etc., it still sorts them on correctly on Mailspring, but when I look on my server, the mails are still in the main inbox.

Anyone having similar issues?

I’m having a similar issue. In my case the “from contains” condition is never caught-- ever. It’s always found to be false. I have a “from contains ‘no-reply’”, and it never triggers.

Update: Okay, in my case, looks like the rules being saved correctly. I noticed this because whenever I’d change forms displayed on the screen, it wouldn’t update the fields in the form. I deleted them and remade them (which I’m pretty sure I had done before) and it started working correctly. (Sorry; I don’t know how helpful that description is.)