Password Management Error

Another reason could be that the electron version shipped with Mailspring does not yet contain the bindings for kwallet6. In that case you could try to Ensure that kwallet5 is installed an force it’s usage with the corresponding flag in the desktop file.

I am currently traveling, but will try to figure out a solution when I am back.

1 Like

I finally found a solution with KDE 6 that solved the problem for me.

1. In the Application Launcher, search for Mailspring.
  2. Right click on it and select “Edit Application…”
  3. Navigate to the “Application” tab.
  4. Update the “Arguments” field to read '--password-store=gnome-libsecret %U'
  5. Click “OK” at the bottom and close the menu.

Hope this helps anyone else encountering this issue in KDE 6.

3 Likes

Thanks, mate. This worked good in Arch Linux KDE Plasma 6 and have been able to setup my Mailspring accounts at last.

Unfortunately no success here: Tumbleweed KDE 20240329, KDE Plasma 6.0.3, KDE Framework 6.0.0, QT: 6.6.3, Kernel 6.8.1, Graphics: Wayland
But thanks anyway :slight_smile:

Hi there,

KDE Plasma 6 is out for a while now. But still I can’t use Mailspring, because it cannot load my PW from my keychain. As I mentioned in my former post, editing the application as Tom Gariepy suggests, didn’t work for me. For now I am using Kmail instead, but let’s say the user experience is not as … smooth as with Mailspring. Will there be a fix for the PW-issue?

Same issue here on Fedora 40 Kionite

Same issue, kde6. none of this worked. Seems like it doesn’t get to the point during installation that any of these files exist to be edited. thunderbird installed with no issues. Guess I’m using that now.

@Xzygy @l-zacarias @avwasser @NickOChile @tommygee @F1nny @Quanthum @1nikolas

I am sorry for the delay, but I finally got a Fedora 40 KDE running for me and was able to find a workaround that actually worked smoothly for me. Please try to use kwallet5 as the backend store for the password encryption. I have documented this here: Password Management Error - #2 by system

Please let me know if this solves the issue for you.

1 Like

works now without any parameters. Something got fixed along the way

1 Like

Many thanks, Phylu. Two quite simple steps and Mailspring is running as smooth as before :slight_smile:

Rejoiced too soon.
After a reboot the solution no longer works. I have to reconnect to my Mailspring account every time. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. Starting Mailspring via command line always seems to work - at least until the next reboot.
By the way, Yast tells me that kwallet5 is not installed on my system. Trying to install it would result in practically all Plasma 6 upgrades being undone. I have therefore refrained from attempting to install it.