PDF printing broken

Description

When clicking on the Print icon in the upper right hand corner of the mail frame, a dialog box pops up with the options of Save as PDF, Print, or Close. Clicking on Save as PDF gives you the system file save dialog, yet when clicking Save, nothing is created.

I have attempted this with multiple emails, and always failed.

Workaround - Print, and pick “PDF” as the printer.

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Go to Mail frame
  2. Click on printer icon, upper right corner
  3. Click on Save as PDF
  4. Fill out the info in the system save dialog box
  5. Click Save
  6. Nothing happens

Expected Behavior

A PDF file should be created.

Screenshots

N/A

Setup

• OS and Version: macOS 11.3.1
    • Installation Method: Mac installer
  • Mailspring Version: 1.9.1

Additional Context

I can confirm. This happened to me, too. I am on Pop OS 20.10, using Mailspring 1.9.1.
Save to PDF didn’t work for me, but I used print to file option and this worked for me.

The title says it all :slight_smile:

/Raffe Bergwall

PDF printing is also broken on Ubuntu 20.04 (updated) using Mailspring 1.9.1

1 Like

Same for me.
I am on mac OS Big Sur 11.4 with Mailspring 1.9.1

I am having the same problem.

Running Pop!_OS 21.04 + Mailspring 1.9.1-30ef802f

I am having the same problem, on Manjaro 21.1.2 , Mailspring 1.9.2-6e14dad1

I’m having the same problem – Linux Mint 20.2 (Cinnamon). As others have noted, creating PDF from default print menu works normally.

I am also having the same issue (Mailspring version 1.9.2; Arch Linux). Creating the PDF from default print menu works, however, it does cause the application to freeze for about 10-20 seconds on my system (even for short emails, while e.g. saving a FireFox page to PDF using the same UI does not cause a freeze.

Can confirm this happening today. “Save as” does nothing, “Print”, then “Print to file” saves with default document name as “output.pdf”.

Linux Mint 20.2, Mailspring v. 1.9.2-6e14dad1 <— It sure would be good if this info in the help menu could be copied. For some reason, it’s grayed out?

I have a very similar problem on opensuse tumbleweed with gnome 41. When I choose “save as pdf” a screen opens up with blank squares where all the text should be so it’s impossible to choose a folder to save the pdf to. Here’s a screenshot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4UL22CsDVe6jhKmH7

Save to PDF is not working for me either (most of the time). Sometimes it has worked, like when I first open Mailspring but then it stops.

I have also had problems with the Print option printing to Microsoft Print to PDF.

Maybe the two are related.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Mailspring 1.9.2-6e14dad1

I think, I have spotted the root cause for the bug and will resolve it with the upgrade to electron 14 (https://github.com/Foundry376/Mailspring/pull/2357).

31 Jan 2022: Confirmed – still a problem. Running Mailspring version Version 1.9.2 (1.9.2) on macOS Monterrey.

2 Likes

This should be resolved in the latest version.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.