Retrieval using the IMAP4 protocol failed for the following message

Description

The search box for a Microsoft 365 account appears to work only with the most recent (probably locally-cached) messages. If I use the since and before keywords, I get a list of messages that say Retrieval using the IMAP4 protocol failed for the following message: XXX , where XXX is the number of the message (see screenshot below)

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Go to the search box and type a custom date range, i.e. since: "2020/02/05" before: "2020/02/07"
  2. Click on any message found, they should be all the same. In particular,

Sender: Microsoft Exchange Server
Object: Retrieval using the IMAP4 protocol failed for the following message: 205
No body (spinning wheel implying that the message is loading)

Expected Behavior

I guess the messages, that are correctly found in the sever, should load kind of quickly (within a minute or so). They are found very quickly and they are mostly text-only, so I would expect fast loading.

Screenshots

Setup

• OS and Version: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Linux kernel version 4.15.0-1081-oem
  • Mailspring Version: 1.7.8-13635bcf

Additional Context

I have set up only the Microsoft 365 account of my organization. I also get the “One or more account are having connection issues…” message quite often (it is also visible in the screenshot), but the syncing of messages works well…

(Originally posted by mp1994 on GitHub.)

Is there any solution to this problem? I am also facing similar issues.

The same error is thrown with calendar events as described by this user: Problems syncing an Office365 account: Retrieval using the IMAP4 protocol failed · Issue #78 · Foundry376/Mailspring · GitHub

The issue still persists. I am getting the same error, with the latest Mailspring on Linux Ubuntu 20.04

in my case its only for the calendar, emails per se are being retrieved with no problem