Snap for 1.9.0 (edge channel) fails to start

Description

snap refresh --edge mailspring

It won’t start anymore, failing with this error:

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/marco/snap/mailspring/499/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini': File exists
[150393:0412/184118.164341:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /snap/mailspring/499/usr/share/mailspring/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755. [1] 150393 trace trap (core dumped) mailspring
❯ ls -l /snap/mailspring/499/usr/share/mailspring/chrome-sandbox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6259104 apr 11 05:40 /snap/mailspring/499/usr/share/mailspring/chrome-sandbox

Setup

• OS and Version: Ubuntu Linux 20.04
    • Installation Method: snap
  • Mailspring Version: 1.9.0

Hey @3v1n0 thanks for reporting this! Will see if we can get this resolved asap. Thanks for flagging before the release went stable!

1 Like

Hey @3v1n0, could you give this a spin and see if it works? I’m booting up my Ubuntu 20 VM now and will see if i can reproduce this:

1 Like

Not sure that was the main failure though, I think the missing SUID is the problem.

Tested with latest revision (500) and still same problem:

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/marco/snap/mailspring/500/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini': File exists
[282851:0413/183958.465485:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /snap/mailspring/500/usr/share/mailspring/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
[1]    282851 trace trap (core dumped)  mailspring

Removing the file so that the symlink is created will remove the ln issue, but the crash stays. Which confirms my suspect.

You’ve to handle it properly in the electron launcher (not sure if disabling the sandbox is fine here, as at the end the snap is already sandboxed), but see more at Search results for 'setuid_sandbox_host' - snapcraft.io

1 Like

Ok, just tested mailspring --no-sandbox is enough to get it working.

So you need to make it as default in snapcraft.

1 Like

Hey - great! I was just looking in to how to fix that SUID issue - it seems like our upgrade from Electron 4 to Electron 8 caused sandboxing to become the default, and we need to disable it because Snaps provide their own sandboxing mechanism. I pushed one more build that should fix it now (501).

Thanks!

Ben

2 Likes