The new template / email composer does not allow editing the contents of HTML tables

Description

I’m unable to use templates created using “edit as html” feature in the older version of Mailspring. In particular, I have a table which I cannot modify – neither in Template Manager nor when inserted in the new mail.

in fact the same happens with the signatures. i cannot modify signatures in the mail.

Setup

• OS and Version: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 64-bit
    • Installation Method: Snap
  • Mailspring Version: 1.1.0-7563b09d

(Originally posted by nul0m on GitHub.)

(Original post had 2 upvotes and 9 supporting comments.)

Hey! Thanks for reporting this @nul0m — In 1.1.0, the composer text editor was switched out for a new one (built on SlateJS) that made it easier to add new features like font size and color, and will enable more things to be added in the next couple releases. The one big drawback of the change is that content inside <table> tags needs to be locked in the editor to preserve it’s exact appearance, because Slate doesn’t support all of the styles / features of tables and would break some of them.

I’ll see if I can find a good solution to this in the next update - we can probably allow editing inside tables and other custom HTML without Slate’s shortcuts / rich text tools.

(Originally posted by bengotow on GitHub.)

@bengotow Worth mentioning, this exists now:

thanks guys, hope this issue gets higher priority as this might be a real showstopper for many potential users.