The tray icon is turning red when the app is backgrounded randomly every few minutes regardless of whether or not new mail has arrived.
Steps to reproduce the behavior:
- Run Mailspring (with tray icon)
- Have unread mail (tray icon will be blue)
- Background, minimize, or close app window
- Wait anywhere from 1 to 5? 10? minutes
- Tray icon will turn red
- Foreground app; no new mail is present
- Tray icon turns back to blue
- Repeat 3-8 ad infinitum
Tray icon, from what I understand, is only supposed to turn red when new mail arrives.
Before (notice, 10:20pm, 8 unread messages):
After (10:31pm, same 8 unread messages):
- OS and Version: Fedora 38
- Installation Method: Flatpak (Flathub)
- Mailspring Version: 1.11.0-6193b33c
Before I realized discussion had moved to Discourse, I did happen to comment on the original pull request to ask about this (Red icon for new mail and blue icon for unread mail by marivaldojr · Pull Request #2433 · Foundry376/Mailspring · GitHub). As it is, the current state of functionality on my machine makes the tray icon unusable, so I have to turn it off (which is super annoying because I specifically use Mailspring over something like Geary because of the system tray icon).
That said, even if this were functioning correctly, I very much agree with the other two commenters on the PR that this feature is problematic. Red is a standard color for “something is wrong,” not “you’ve got mail.” @bengotow mentions this being potentially annoying; mark a tally for me in the definitely annoying column (both for the functionality and the fact that this made it through without an option to turn it off).