Unexplained 'Compose Window' popup all by themselves with the attachment 'database-agent.js'

Description

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Unfortunately I have no steps to describe as the attached windows keep popping up without any explanation. The strange and suspicious thing is that all these 'Compose' windows open with an attachment 'database-agent.js'

Expected Behavior

Screenshots

Setup

• OS and Version: Linux Deepin
    • Installation Method: Flatpak version of ‘MailSpring’ installed from ‘Flathub
  • Mailspring Version: 1.9.2

Additional Context

IT IS REALLY ANNOYING WITH THE THESE POPUPS CROWDING MY DESKTOP UNEXPLAINED. THE SUSPICIOUS PART IS ALL OF THEM HAVE AN ATTACHMENT AUTOMATICALLY ATTACHED TO THESE COMPOSE WINDOW BY THE NAME ‘database-agent.js’ … AND AN EVEN MORE ANNOYING THING IS THAT I CAN’T CLOSE THE WINDOWS AS DOING SO WILL FLOOD MY DRAFTS FOLDER WITH THESE GREMLINS. I HAVE TO DELETE EACH ONE OF THEM.

MY FIRST EXPERIENCE … SURELY A SOUR ONE !!!

Please find the video where you can see my mouse cursor and the popups showing up 2 unwanted popups …

Yikes - that’s not good. Needless to say, that’s not been my experience (Kubuntu 21.10, deb version). Are all these spurious emails addressed to the same recipient? Also, what shortcut keys do you have defined? What happens if you change to a completely different set (just on the offchance that it’s spurious keypresses that are the cause)? What is the content of that attached file?

Finally, what happens if you uninstall and reinstall Mailspring? (Be aware you may lose all your configuration because it’s a Flatpak, so back up anything you can’t easily recreate.)

+1 :frowning:

I installed MailSpring today (Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, installed via Flatpak) and every time I launch MailSpring I get these intermittent popups (with the same attachment as reported).

Brand new installation of MailSpring and Linux Mint. No keybinds (other than defaults) and occurs when my hands are away from the keyboard and mouse.

1 Like

@LordBenjamin If you’re on Linux Mint, I’d strongly suggest you try the deb instead: I had problems with the snap that went away with the deb.

@aiamuzz Have you tried a different installation method? Can you try the snap, for example? Sounds like the Flatpak may have issues!

1 Like

@LordBenjamin … good to know i am not loner with regard to this issue … If you like you can post on the issue I’ve started at Flathub end … https://github.com/flathub/com.getmailspring.Mailspring/issues/3

@JohnP … thanks for looking …

I would like to see through this issue being fixed for i have waited long to use Mailspring only as a flatpak … i kind of have setup my rig such that i have all linux apps installed as flatpaks saving me from the hardships of reconfiguring them whenever i end up crashing or reinstalling my Linux OS …

Look forward to this getting resolved here if its an upstream issue or at the end of Flathub(already raised an issue over there) …

Please find the contents of that suspicious attachment … if anyone can decipher its source …

const Sqlite3 = require('better-sqlite3');
const dbs = {};

const deathDelay = 5000;
let deathTimer = setTimeout(() => process.exit(0), deathDelay);

function getDatabase(dbpath) {
  if (dbs[dbpath]) {
    return Promise.resolve(dbs[dbpath]);
  }

try {
    dbs[dbpath] = new Sqlite3(dbpath, { readonly: true, timeout: 10000 });
  } catch (err) {
    console.error(err);
    process.exit(1);
  }

return Promise.resolve(dbs[dbpath]);
}

process.on('message', m => {
  clearTimeout(deathTimer);
  const { query, values, id, dbpath } = m;
  const start = Date.now();

getDatabase(dbpath).then(db => {
    const fn = query.startsWith('SELECT') ? 'all' : 'run';
    const stmt = db.prepare(query);
    const results = stmt[fn](values);
    process.send({ type: 'results', results, id, agentTime: Date.now() - start });

deathTimer = setTimeout(() => process.exit(0), deathDelay);
  });
});

I think i have been able to find a ‘method to this madness’, these popups seem to throw up everytime the application sync’s i’ve tried to record the screen, watch my mouse cursor and the search box, every time i enter a character the application sync’s and the popup launches …

as you can see everytime the mailbox is synced the popup appears, on the flatpak version of your application …

I’m having the same problem. I created a separate post last week since I did not see this thread, but I have not received any replies.

The worst instance was when I tried to search for a string of text in one of my accounts. A new window popped up with each character I typed in the search box, making search completely unusable. 16 new emails filling my screen suddenly, all saved as drafts as well.

I’m running the most current flatpak version 1.9.2 on MX Linux XFCE.

I also just read in another thread that Mailspring has been abandoned. Is that true?