Mail indexing produces very much traffic

Living on the landside I am connect to the internet with LTE only which has a traffic limit and exceeding the limit is expensive. After connecting my Gmail (G Suite) account containing about 6GB of mails mailspring used about 30 GB to index all the mails. I think this is because of multiple labels.

Is this necessary?

A good thing would be the option to exclude folders from syncing, especially the all mail folder.

(Originally posted by intradesign on GitHub.)

Hey! Thanks for reporting this - this is pretty interesting actually. I think the reason this happens is because Mailspring does a two-part scan of your mailbox. It grabs all the HEADERS for all the messages rapidly, and then goes back through fetching the bodies + attachments for messages in the last three months. I’m surprised it’d be 5x the size of the emails, though.

I’ll see if I can take this into consideration next time I clean up the sync code - definitely hadn’t thought much about the overall bandwidth use! Cheers—

(Originally posted by bengotow on GitHub.)

I wonder if external the IP hopping and/or variable reliability nature of cell networks could be contributing to this… possibly lots of re-tried large message downloads?

(Originally posted by jerm on GitHub.)

No, I don’t think so. The connection is not mobile but at a fixed location
and therefore always within the same radio cell.
The connection is stable and is reconnected only once every 24 hours.

(Originally posted by intradesign on GitHub.)

Odd. My version of Mailspring doesn’t download all the headers – just the email from the last three months. Any way to force this? I’ve tried re-caching but it doesn’t seem to change anything.

(Originally posted by qlfwyyd on GitHub.)

Related Issues: