Cannot send mail ­— Connection error: unable to connect to the server (new to 1.8.0)

Hi, I have a similar problem, I’m trying to set up IMAP accounts and they don’t work. Using the same settings in Thunderbird I can send and receive emails.

When I try to send an email I get this error message:
"Sorry, Mailspring was unable to deliver this message: Connection error: unable to connect to the server/port you provided.

Receiving emails I do receive them.

For months before it was working I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the accounts trying different configurations and they don’t work.

How can I fix this?
Thank you.

Hi @TandemMarketingDigit,

A couple of questions to help diagnose this:

1. What email service(s) are you using?
  2. Are you behind a proxy or using a VPN?
  3. Has something changed about your network/internet access recently?

Hello.

One of the accounts is @gmail.com and the other is @tandemmarketingdigital.com, our corporate account. Both are failing.

I don’t use proxies or VPN.

We changed our hosting, but this should not affect the @gmail.com mail.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks

What version of Mailspring are you using? Did this problem start occurring after an update?

I’m using version 1.8.0, I’m not sure if the problem has arisen after an update.

I think it came up when we changed hosting and I reconfigured the accounts, but the issue is what he told you, the configuration is correct because in other email managers it did work.

Thanks for your answer

I want to chime in as well to share that my campus email is also unable to connect to Mailspring all of a sudden over the last couple of days. I am using 1.8.0 as well on a Windows 10 machine. Since it appears to be a similar issue, maybe there is an underlying cause that can help both of us.

Thanks!

The problem still persists. Has anyone had a similar error and can you think of a solution?

Thanks

There are a few sync-related bugs in Mailsync that need diagnosing. It’s a high priority, but it may still be several weeks, as this is an independent project.

OK, thank you.
I will remain on standby.

@TandemMarketingDigit @amedury By the way, voting on this issue (at the top) will help keep this visible. There are a lot of bug reports, obviously, and it’s hard to remember them all, so we tend towards those which affect many users. (Yes, we already marked this as a priority, but it’s not alone. :wink: )

ok.
I also voted.

thanks for everything!!

1 Like

Stopping by to upvote. Experiencing the same problem. Here is what I’m using:

PopOS 20.10
Mailspring 1.80
no VPN or proxy, private home internet

Two accounts:
Gmail - send & receive work perfectly
private mailbox on Dotster - receive works, send no longer works

…on the Dotster account, I configured Mailspring last week to use this account, and it worked for a few days. Starting yesterday 2/14/21, Mailspring will no longer send email, with the ‘unable to connect’ error.

I’ve tried every setting for the outgoing mail, with no luck. Recommendations welcome, as Mailspring is a neat, simple mail client. I’d rather not go back to Thunderbird.

Let me know if any further detail is needed.

2 Likes

@SuperMirage Do you have any logs you could share?

1. Go to “Developer” > “Toggle Developer Tools”
  2. Chose the “Console” tab
  3. Press “Clear Console” (Ctrl + L)
  4. Reproduce the Issue
  5. Do a right click inside the console and click “Save as”
  6. Clear any personal information from the debug file that you now have created
  7. Attach the file here.

Happy to help, though looks to be little to see in the log. Let me know if I can provide any further detail.

I can’t see how to attach a non-image file. This is the text.

mailsync-process.ts:312 Sending to mailsync cefc6c12 {type: “queue-task”, task: SyncbackDraftTask}
mailsync-process.ts:312 Sending to mailsync cefc6c12 {type: “queue-task”, task: SyncbackDraftTask}
mailsync-process.ts:312 Sending to mailsync cefc6c12 {type: “queue-task”, task: SendDraftTask}

Anything in the Mailsync logs? Developer > Open Mailsync Logs. Then look through the .log file in that directory for the time of the problem.

Hello.

In the folder. logs is empty and in console mode with Ctrl+L I don’t get any error.

Can I help you with anything else?

Thank you

I’m getting SMTP connection refused… Seems like time to look at the mail settings again, though sending mail on this service works on mail clients on other devices.

5392 [2021-02-16 06:44:24.878] [foreground] [info] - Sending draft 3A858CE0-491B-43A4-A48F-5721488728C1@getmailspring.com
5392 [2021-02-16 06:44:24.879] [foreground] [info] – Identified sent folder: INBOX.Sent
5392 [2021-02-16 06:44:24.899] [foreground] [info] – Sending a single message body to all recipients:
5392 [2021-02-16 06:44:54.951] [foreground] [info] -X An SMTP error occurred: ErrorConnection LibEtPan code: MAILSMTP_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
5392 [2021-02-16 06:44:55.009] [foreground] [error] [local-6a85758a-7799] – Failed ({“debuginfo”:“ErrorConnection”,“key”:“send-failed”,“retryable”:false,“what”:“std::exception”}). Changing status to complete

EDIT: Confirmed outbound mail settings are correct, and working on another device. Just not working from mailspring.

1 Like

I don’t understand this last answer.
Do I have to do any more tests?

Thank you

@TandemMarketingDigit – my reply is to @CodeMouse92 's ask for log data, as it sounds like you and I are both experiencing the same error.

I’ll watch for any further ask from @CodeMouse92 on next steps.

Thanks for the logs, @SuperMirage!

It looks like this is the key clue:

5392 [2021-02-16 06:44:54.951] [foreground] [info] -X An SMTP error occurred: ErrorConnection LibEtPan code: MAILSMTP_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
5392 [2021-02-16 06:44:55.009] [foreground] [error] [local-6a85758a-7799] – Failed > ({“debuginfo”:“ErrorConnection”,“key”:“send-failed”,“retryable”:false,“what”:“std::exception”}). Changing status to complete

Ben will probably have to be the one to solve this. This task is on the short-range roadmap, although it’s impossible to give a timeline.