Database Is Locked

Multiple users are reporting the database becoming locked, forcing them to regularly clear the Mailspring cache to resolve it. (For some, removing the cache does not resolve it.)

According to tristanlins on GitHub, this issue first appeared in 1.6.1. (See migrated comment below.)

Possibly related:

For about two weeks, the error occurs daily. Usually when I get the laptop out of standby in the morning. At this moment, all old emails (whether read or unread) disappear from the Inbox. Only new emails arriving after the lock error are displayed. Therefore I have to go into the settings daily and press the “Clear cache” button.

Apparently this is primarily related to when the network connection changes. For example, after the standby mode, but apparently the error occurs even if the wireless connection is gone for a short time.

Mailspring: Version 1.6.1
Distributor ID: neon
Description:KDE neon User Edition 5.15
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

Update: yesterday I downgraded Mailspring to version 1.6.0. The problem with the “Database Locked” seems since then no longer occur. I’ll watch it for a few more days, but it looks like it’s currently a problem with version 1.6.1.

I can confirm that the bug only occurs in version 1.6.1, but not in version 1.6.0.

(Originally posted by tristanlins on GitHub.)

Getting this often as well. With several accounts. I’m not sure how to “unlock” the database but clearing the cache does seem to work. Here is the latest exception:

Mailspring Version: 1.8.0-8983dca2
Platform: linux
Account State: sync_error
Account Provider: imap
IMAP Server: mail.gandi.net
SMTP Server: mail.gandi.net
--------------------------------------------
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:54.656] [foreground] [info] Unlinking messages  WHERE remoteFolderId = ? AND remoteUID IN (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?) no longer present in remote range.
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:54.806] [foreground] [info] -- 0 matches.
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:54.806] [foreground] [warning] [SLOW] Transaction=unlinkMessagesMatchingQuery > 80ms (150ms, 0 waiting to aquire)
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:54.806] [foreground] [info] Unlinking messages  WHERE remoteFolderId = ? AND remoteUID IN (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?) no longer present in remote range.
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:54.956] [foreground] [info] -- 0 matches.
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:54.956] [foreground] [warning] [SLOW] Transaction=unlinkMessagesMatchingQuery > 80ms (149ms, 0 waiting to aquire)
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:54.956] [foreground] [info] Unlinking messages  WHERE remoteFolderId = ? AND remoteUID IN (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?) no longer present in remote range.
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:55.108] [foreground] [info] -- 0 matches.
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:55.108] [foreground] [warning] [SLOW] Transaction=unlinkMessagesMatchingQuery > 80ms (151ms, 0 waiting to aquire)
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:55.108] [foreground] [info] Unlinking messages  WHERE remoteFolderId = ? AND remoteUID IN (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?) no longer present in remote range.
10929 [2021-02-05 09:32:55.152] [background] [critical] 
*** Mailspring Sync 
*** A C++ exception occurred during program execution: 
*** database is locked

Not sure that provides much more information though.

1 Like

Hi!
I’m getting sync errors on my accounts in any random order. In logs I can see this:

68055 [2021-04-08 19:51:17.863] [metadata] [info] Metadata delta stream starting…
68055 [2021-04-08 19:51:20.866] [background] [info] Marking all folders as busy
68055 [2021-04-08 19:51:31.056] [background] [critical]

*** Mailspring Sync
*** A C++ exception occurred during program execution:
*** database is locked

68055 [2021-04-08 19:51:31.208] [background] [critical] *** Stack trace (line numbers are approximate):
*** in mailsync exceptions::logCurrentExceptionWithStackTrace()
*** in mailsync runBackgroundSyncWorker()
*** in mailsync main::$_6::operator()() const
*** in mailsync void* __thread_proxy(void*)
*** in mailsync thread_start()

There are 12 accounts now, some of them are GMail other are corporative postfix servers.
If I push “Reconnect button” it seems start to work for some time.

Having issues with this as well, weirdly it only happens on 1 of 2 Gmail accounts, the older one of the two (still uses @googlemail.com)

I have canceled subscription and quit from using this. Unfortunately.

To this day this is still an issue that makes it pretty annoying to use Mailspring and honestly makes it hard to recommend as well.

Another bug report from December mentions the same issue as well: Every time I open this email client there's new crap to deal with. Such a frustrating software

I don’t understand how this is not a more widespread issue. This used to happen randomly every couple of months a while ago with my very simple IMAP/SMTP account. Now that I’m in a period where I rarely open up my laptop and it has to sync a lot of emails at once (maybe unrelated but this is just what I’m observing anyway) it happens pretty much every time, which means it’s practically unusable for me sadly since I have to completely reset Mailspring every time I want to use it.