Password Management Error after the latest Upgrade

When updaiting Mailspring to version 1.12/1.13 you may be unable to receive new e-mails after the upgrade, see a “Password Management Error” or the error “Your Mailspring ID is missing required fields”. If this is the case, please follow these steps to resolve it:

1. Log out of your Mailspring ID in the preferences.
  2. Follow the steps noted here regarding your operating system and setup: Password Management Error
  3. Log in again into your Mailspring ID in the preferences.
  4. In the account preferences, reconnect all your e-mail accounts.

If these steps are unsuccessful, completely uninstall Mailspring so that its configuration gets removed. Then freshly install the latest version. This should resolve all migration issues. However, you will lose all settings and configurations that you made within the old Mailspring versions.

In the case of issues, please use this help thread: Password Management Error after the latest Upgrade

Sadly this doesn’t seem to work properly yet:

Still getting this error after logging in:

at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:475:12) {
  message: "Recovered Error: Could not call remote method 'decryptString'. Check that the method signature is correct. Underlying error: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.Underlying stack: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.\n" +
    '    at /snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:465:71\n' +
    '    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)\n' +
    '    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:events:390:28)\n' +
    '    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:domain:475:12)\n' +
    '    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:161:10935)\n' +
    '    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:390:28)\n' +
    '    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:475:12)\n'
} { pluginIds: [] }
Raven: 429 - undefined

It seems that things got fixed after I’ve been running in the host:

secret-tool clear account "Mailspring Keys"
secret-tool clear service Mailspring

Thanks for the report and glad that you solved it. Which OS was this, so I can put it in the documentation?

Same error here on Mailspring 1.12 Snap Ubuntu 22.04.3
None of the above solutions fix the store password securely after updated to Mailspring 1.12. Mailspring 1.11 worked without any problem

3 Likes

Same problem here. The proposed solution does not work at all.

Thanks a lot for the reports! Can you please run Mailspring from a terminal and post the error message that you are getting here?

@ferlanero That is very strange as I tested the upgrade path on Ubuntu/Snap quite a lot as it was the most complicated one. If it is not too much trouble, a full reinstall that removes all your config and accounts should work. After installing Mailspring using snap and running sudo snap connect mailspring:password-manager-service it should definitely work.

@DawoodMorris How does your setup look like?

• Which operating system are you using?
  • Which installation method are you using?
  • If on Linux, which desktop environment are you using?

If nothing else helps, a full reinstall should resolve the issue for you as well.

Hi @Phylu, many thanks for your reply.

Which operating system are you using?

Using Linux

Which installation method are you using?

Installed with sudo snap install mailspring

If on Linux, which desktop environment are you using?

OS Name: Zorin OS 16.3
$ uname -a outputs this:
Linux $USER 5.15.0-88-generic #98~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Oct 9 16:43:45 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

At the moment, I uninstalled then re-installed by downlaoding the .deb file. Not it is configured and working. Not sure if I restart the machine will the problem re-appear.

I hope this if helpful.

Thanks

Hi, Im also having issues.
Linux Mint, DE is Cinnamon.
I did a full reinstall of mailspring. Removing from snap and removing its folder in ~/snap
Also ran the connect command posted earlier in this thread. It all works as it should when launching for the first time, but after quitting it wont sync anymore

Heres the full log
Gtk-Message: 09:42:42.930: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
Gtk-Message: 09:42:42.930: Not loading module "atk-bridge": The functionality is provided by GTK natively. Please try to not load it.

(mailspring:40925): Gtk-WARNING **: 09:42:42.965: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1:21: Failed to import: Error opening file /home/xzilla/snap/mailspring/526/.config/gtk-3.0/colors.css: No such file or directory
Running database migrations
App load time: 189ms

{"error":null}
libva error: vaGetDriverNames() failed with unknown libva error
[40925:1116/094243.199677:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Error: Could not call remote method 'decryptString'. Check that the method signature is correct. Underlying error: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.Underlying stack: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.
    at /snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:465:71
    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:events:390:28)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (node:domain:475:12)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:161:10935)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:390:28)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:475:12)

at /snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:468:25
    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)
  message: "Recovered Error: Could not call remote method 'decryptString'. Check that the method signature is correct. Underlying error: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.Underlying stack: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.\n" +
    '    at /snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:465:71\n' +
    '    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (/snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:323:27)\n' +
    '    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:161:10935)\n' +
(node:40925) [DEP0066] DeprecationWarning: OutgoingMessage.prototype._headers is deprecated
(Use `mailspring --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)
Error: Could not call remote method 'decryptString'. Check that the method signature is correct. Underlying error: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.Underlying stack: Error: Error while decrypting the ciphertext provided to safeStorage.decryptString.
    at /snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:465:71
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:475:12)

at /snap/mailspring/526/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@electron/remote/dist/src/main/server.js:468:25

Hi, I also have the same problem (Mailspring 1.12.0 on Ubuntu 20.04.3) I can solve it following this procedure: https://foundry376.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002012491
So in practice I remove the /.config/Mailspring from the snap directory and reconnect all the accounts.

However, when I close and reopen Mailspring the problem occurs again, which is quite annoying.

1 Like

Hi, same problem for me.

uname -a
Linux REDACTED 6.5.7-060507-generic #202310102154 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Oct 10 22:00:30 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Release: 22.04
Codename: jammy

snap list | grep mailspring
mailspring 1.12.0 526 latest/stable foundry376** -

Note that reverting to the previous version fixes the problem for me:

sudo snap revert mailspring --revision 523
mailspring reverted to 1.11.0

1 Like

Can you please check the output of

snap connections mailspring

• Does this show the password-manager-service of being activated?
  • Does it work if you run mailspring --password-store="gnome-libsecret"

Refresh command failed for me but sudo snap refresh mailspring --revision=523 worked fine and resolved all issues

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

The output of the command is the following:

Interface                 Plug                                 Slot                            Notes
avahi-observe             mailspring:avahi-observe             :avahi-observe                  -
browser-support           mailspring:browser-support           :browser-support                -
content[gnome-42-2204]    mailspring:gnome-42-2204             gnome-42-2204:gnome-42-2204     -
content[gtk-3-themes]     mailspring:gtk-3-themes              gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes  -
content[icon-themes]      mailspring:icon-themes               gtk-common-themes:icon-themes   -
content[sound-themes]     mailspring:sound-themes              gtk-common-themes:sound-themes  -
cups-control              mailspring:cups-control              :cups-control                   -
desktop                   mailspring:desktop                   :desktop                        -
desktop-legacy            mailspring:desktop-legacy            :desktop-legacy                 -
gsettings                 mailspring:gsettings                 :gsettings                      -
home                      mailspring:home                      :home                           -
mount-observe             mailspring:mount-observe             -                               -
network                   mailspring:network                   :network                        -
network-bind              mailspring:network-bind              :network-bind                   -
network-observe           mailspring:network-observe           :network-observe                -
opengl                    mailspring:opengl                    :opengl                         -
password-manager-service  mailspring:password-manager-service  :password-manager-service       -
pulseaudio                mailspring:pulseaudio                :pulseaudio                     -
removable-media           mailspring:removable-media           :removable-media                -
screen-inhibit-control    mailspring:screen-inhibit-control    :screen-inhibit-control         -
unity7                    mailspring:unity7                    :unity7                         -
wayland                   mailspring:wayland                   :wayland                        -
x11                       mailspring:x11                       :x11                            -

So yes, it seems that the password manager is activated.

I exit from mailspring and re-enter it but now it says that all the accounts are not synchronized (both with mailspring and mailspring --password-store="gnome-libsecret").

After this, I reverted back to 1.11 as suggested by @jerjako and now everything works fine.

PS: I just realized that the tray icon on top bar does not show up for version 1.12 while this problem is not present in the 1.11 version.

Maybe you can try the preview of the 1.13 version after the update to 1.12: [SNAP] Update to gnome extension and core22 by soumyaDghosh · Pull Request #2464 · Foundry376/Mailspring · GitHub

If this does not help, I will need to do some more debugging. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to achieve anything here before the weekend. So please keep tight until then. I will definitely let you know if I have more information/ideas on what to do.

I am running the 1.12 version on Zorin. I’m not an experienced linux user so trying to muddle my way through. I have tried to sudo snap connect… command, the password manager appears to be running but doesn’t work with the gnome-secret command. I’m not sure which package I installed, it was a long time ago. Nor do I know where to find the snap folder (if that’s how I installed it). I’d love help getting back access to my email accounts!

-sorry I see that you are a bit stuck with this, I’ll continue to monitor this thread :slight_smile:

Same issues. I’m using Windows. I fear I’ve lost all the emails I had before, which I still need to track. Very disappointed in how hard it is to get help.

1 Like

Can confirm that it may work once but never on restart.

Also once the setup happens once, I don’t see anything stored in the host secret service, so I feel something is wrong there too.

In difference to the previous behaviour, you won’t see any stored credentials in the keyring. The keyring is only used to encrypt the mail passwords before they are stored in the config.json file in the Mailspring settings directory.

I hope that I will be able to reproduce the issue by trying the upgrade path via snap on Zorin OS, so that I can then deliver a solution.

Hello, I love mailspring, it is a shame it is having these issues.

I just wanted to drop by and let you know it isn’t working for me either, having the same error as explained in this thread.

DE: None, just DWM
Installed by Pacman

I installed gnome-keyring, since I already had libsecret, and launched the application using the commands suggested but no errors in the terminal appeared nor any changes in the way the application behaves.

Reverting back to 1.11 is working for me too.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this and continue using this great email client.

Regards