Password Management Error

ugh still struggling with this after many days. I can get it running correctly from the command prompt using --password-store=“gnome-libsecret” but changing .desktop files just does not seem to work. I’ve tried AUR and Flatpak versions, with the latter tried changing both

/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/applications/com.getmailspring.Mailspring.desktop

and

/var/lib/flatpak/app/com.getmailspring.Mailspring/current/active/export/share/applications/com.getmailspring.Mailspring.desktop

but nothing seems to change anything, it still flashes the error on launch.

@dafeder If you use a startup script like me for the flatpak version, to make Mailspring load on login in a minimized fashion, you can do this:

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=start-mailspring --file-forwarding com.getmailspring.Mailspring --background @@u %U @@

You can add --password-store=“gnome-libsecret” BEFORE the … @@u … to this to make it so that Mailspring starts up correctly. If I am not mistaken, on the Github issue page, there is an example how to do this. If I come across it, I will update my comment. If you can’t get it to work at all, you can try to just downgrade the Flatpak package. I’ve written a comment how to do so. Downgrading solved the issue for me.

I did have the @@u stuff at the end. I’ve gone back to AUR for now, tried downgrading to 1.12 but still the same issues! Very confused.

I now have (with the AUR package) both my /usr/share/applications/Mailspring.desktop file and a copy in ~/.local/share/applications with the last line set to

Exec=mailspring --password-store="gnome-libsecret" %U

Still get password storage error if I start mailspring from the launcher. Only thing that works continues to be running mailspring --password-store="gnome-libsecret" from prompt and keeping the terminal open.

OK this is what the :man_facepalming: emoji is for. I didn’t realize there were two sections of the .desktop file, I was editing the Exec for [Desktop Action NewMessage] not [Desktop Entry]. Now working fine

2 Likes

The way I solve this issue.

1. Delete any previous auto-start entry of Mailspring from System Settings and/or from ~/.config/autostart directory.
  2. I do not prefer flatpak or snap. I use the .deb file, downloaded from official website.
  3. After install, do not run/launch the app.
  4. Locate Mailspring.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/ directory and open it in text editor.
  5. In [Desktop Entry] section, not [Desktop Action NewMessage],
    replace this line
    Exec=mailspring %U
    with
    Exec=mailspring --password-store="gnome-libsecret" %U
  6. Save the file & now run mailspring.

Everything should work as expected.

2 Likes

This works for me now!

I copied Mailspring-folder in username/.config into a backup folder and installed a new Linux distribution. After copying the folder back into the new distribution, I got this error message when starting Mailspring for the first time. Now I’m able to use Mailspring again. Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

I think it is broken with the KDE 6 update and shows this error. Not sure who’s fault it is. I’ve seen other people mention this so it shouldn’t be a me problem…

I have also recieved this issue upon updating to KDE 6, the “libsecret” fix won’t give me temporary repireve as well…

Same issue here after upgrading to KDE6 on Arch Linux, also took the opportunity to finally move from X11 to Wayland, though that should be N/A? Any bandaids? Totally locked out :frowning: @Phylu

Moving into it’s own issue thread saw was created the other day, anyone with this issue should shimmy over here and vote:

@1nikolas @Quanthum

That sounds like there was a switch from wallet5 to kwallet6 in the background. So your Mailspring is not able to access it’s encryption key for the passwords anymore. See: safeStorage | Electron

I’d assume that removing all mail accounts, logging out of your mailspring id and then logging in to everything again should work.

Another reason could be that the electron version shipped with Mailspring does not yet contain the bindings for kwallet6. In that case you could try to Ensure that kwallet5 is installed an force it’s usage with the corresponding flag in the desktop file.

I am currently traveling, but will try to figure out a solution when I am back.

1 Like

I finally found a solution with KDE 6 that solved the problem for me.

1. In the Application Launcher, search for Mailspring.
  2. Right click on it and select “Edit Application…”
  3. Navigate to the “Application” tab.
  4. Update the “Arguments” field to read '--password-store=gnome-libsecret %U'
  5. Click “OK” at the bottom and close the menu.

Hope this helps anyone else encountering this issue in KDE 6.

2 Likes

Thanks, mate. This worked good in Arch Linux KDE Plasma 6 and have been able to setup my Mailspring accounts at last.

Unfortunately no success here: Tumbleweed KDE 20240329, KDE Plasma 6.0.3, KDE Framework 6.0.0, QT: 6.6.3, Kernel 6.8.1, Graphics: Wayland
But thanks anyway :slight_smile:

Hi there,

KDE Plasma 6 is out for a while now. But still I can’t use Mailspring, because it cannot load my PW from my keychain. As I mentioned in my former post, editing the application as Tom Gariepy suggests, didn’t work for me. For now I am using Kmail instead, but let’s say the user experience is not as … smooth as with Mailspring. Will there be a fix for the PW-issue?

Same issue here on Fedora 40 Kionite

Same issue, kde6. none of this worked. Seems like it doesn’t get to the point during installation that any of these files exist to be edited. thunderbird installed with no issues. Guess I’m using that now.

@Xzygy @l-zacarias @avwasser @NickOChile @tommygee @F1nny @Quanthum @1nikolas

I am sorry for the delay, but I finally got a Fedora 40 KDE running for me and was able to find a workaround that actually worked smoothly for me. Please try to use kwallet5 as the backend store for the password encryption. I have documented this here: Password Management Error - #2 by system

Please let me know if this solves the issue for you.

works now without any parameters. Something got fixed along the way

1 Like