[SOLVED] Mailspring 1.10.4 does not open if language set to Spanish

Description

After latest update, mailspring is not able to run anymore.

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Double click on mailspring binary

Expected Behavior

The program starts…

Screenshots

N/A

Setup

• OS and Version: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid x86_64 (Kernel: 5.18.0-3-amd64)
    • Installation Method: .deb
    • LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
  • Mailspring Version: mailspring-1.10.4-amd64

Additional Context

nolddor@computer:~$ mailspring App load time: 191ms [2810:0810/082221.571054:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(377)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process. SyntaxError: /usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/lang/es.json: Unexpected token in JSON at position 11870 at parse (<anonymous>) at Object.Module._extensions..json (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1183:22) at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:988:32) at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:829:12) at Function.c._load (node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:5:13343) at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1012:19) at require (node:internal/modules/cjs/helpers:102:18) at Object.initializeLocalization (file:///tmp/nylas-build/electron-packager/linux-x64/mailspring-linux-x64/resources/app/src/intl.ts:205:21) at Application.start (file:///tmp/nylas-build/electron-packager/linux-x64/mailspring-linux-x64/resources/app/src/browser/application.ts:56:5) at App.<anonymous> (/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/src/browser/main.js:370:24) at App.emit (node:events:390:28) at App.emit (node:domain:475:12) Promise { <rejected> SyntaxError: /usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/lang/es.json: Unexpected token in JSON at position 11870 at parse (<anonymous>) at Object.Module._extensions..json (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1183:22) at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:988:32) at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:829:12) at Function.c._load (node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:5:13343) at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1012:19) at require (node:internal/modules/cjs/helpers:102:18) at Object.initializeLocalization (file:///tmp/nylas-build/electron-packager/linux-x64/mailspring-linux-x64/resources/app/src/intl.ts:205:21) at Application.start (file:///tmp/nylas-build/electron-packager/linux-x64/mailspring-linux-x64/resources/app/src/browser/application.ts:56:5) at App.<anonymous> (/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/src/browser/main.js:370:24) at App.emit (node:events:390:28) at App.emit (node:domain:475:12) } (node:2773) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: SyntaxError: /usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/lang/es.json: Unexpected token in JSON at position 11870 at parse (<anonymous>) at Object.Module._extensions..json (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1183:22) at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:988:32) at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:829:12) at Function.c._load (node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:5:13343) at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1012:19) at require (node:internal/modules/cjs/helpers:102:18) at Object.initializeLocalization (file:///tmp/nylas-build/electron-packager/linux-x64/mailspring-linux-x64/resources/app/src/intl.ts:205:21) at Application.start (file:///tmp/nylas-build/electron-packager/linux-x64/mailspring-linux-x64/resources/app/src/browser/application.ts:56:5) at App.<anonymous> (/usr/share/mailspring/resources/app.asar/src/browser/main.js:370:24) at App.emit (node:events:390:28) at App.emit (node:domain:475:12) (Use mailspring --trace-warnings …to show where the warning was created) (node:2773) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag–unhandled-rejections=strict(see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 1) (node:2773) [DEP0066] DeprecationWarning: OutgoingMessage.prototype._headers is deprecated Raven: 429 - undefined

Same problem in macOS with the latest version.

I opened a post yesterday:

Hope that this is fixed soon.

1 Like

Same error here since 10.10.4 update on both deb and flatpak installs. There is some updates related to spanish translation in the changelog. Maybe it fails only if spanish language is set.

2 Likes

Same here in Mailspring 1.10.4 on Ubuntu Snap & Windows 10 installations. Both with spanish language set.

1 Like

Thank you for your messages… I can confirm that the problem is related to the spanish language set.

If you install the previous version and then change your settings to use another language, everything works fine.

You may not need to go back to previous version and just change your “config.json” file to set another language:

"intl": {
        "language": "en"
      }

Here may be the bug:

I’m going to test if it works if I change it manually on my local “lang/es.json” file.

1 Like

@acalero I started Mailspring changing this line.

I have just sent a pull request to fix this.

New version 1.10.5 fixes this issue.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for reporting this and the Pull Request to fix it. This really helped to ship the bugfix release so fast.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.