Spell Check not Working

Is this related to:

1 Like

How is it that this is not fixed yet? This is such a great email client with so many features, but this???

1 Like

Far from ideal but here’s a temporary workaround (turn off rich text and advanced editor):

Thank you for the fix. I just can’t understand why with the newer versions of Mailspring this is yet to be fixed.

This was the number one reason why I tried Mailspring and dumped in less than a day. I was actually liking it but the lack of proper spell checking is just a deal breaker. Please fix it.

I started using Mailspring. Almost perfectly, then I discovered that the spell check doesn’t work :frowning: I see that the last post here is from February. Is it just a bug or does the spell check for other languages (mine is Polish) not exist?

Hi, this problem was already put on the table but I want to bring it here again cuz this issue is very annoying and I want to understand if there’s somebody still working on this project. I very hope so :face_holding_back_tears:
Thank you for the collaboration

It seems the developers are still working on things occasionally, but not very often, and they don’t usually pop-into the Community Forums here lately.

Regarding the spellcheck:
It is working on my systems (macOS and Linux). What system are you on? Do you have the spellcheck option enabled under your Preferences → General (tab) → Check Messages for Spelling ?

If you’re on Linux, make sure you have the spelling libraries installed for whichever language you’ve selected in the drop-down box.

Hi, I use Grammarly for spell check. But they don’t support mailspring. I have turned on the spell check on mail spring but it doesn’t detect anything. does anyone know any alternative software like Grammarly that supports mailspring? I have the spell check on and it’s set to default on mailspring.
can someone help, please?

2 Likes

Description

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

Expected Behavior

Screenshots

Setup

• OS and Version:
    • Installation Method:
  • Mailspring Version:

Additional Context

I’ve just installed mailspring and it’s fantastic! But my spell check does not work?!

There are reports of this for over a year. Is this still a thing? Spell check has been broken for over a year?

It’s 2023, nobody knows how to spell anymore!!! I can’t use an email client that won’t check speling on busines emails. This is a massive deal breaker…

Spell check is no longer working since I updated to 1.10.1. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling. I also tried switching the spell check language from English-Canada to English-USA and it is still not working. It had been working before the update.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have only just downloaded Mailspring, Spell check not working in Windows 11. When can I download a new Mailspring when it has a working spell check. It’s a great programme but spoilt by this feature.

3 Likes

I did some debugging and it seems that we are affected by this Electron bug: [Bug]: Renderer spellcheck API does not work on Windows · Issue #28684 · electron/electron · GitHub

As a workaround, you may try to set the spellcheck to a different flavour than your system language. E.g. when your system is configured to use “en-US” as a language and provides its dictionary, then “en-GB” might work.

I will monitor the issue and hope that a solution is possible in the future. For now, there is not much that we can do on the side of Mailspring.

3 Likes

Thanks for this reply. It doesn’t solve the problem, but it gives hope that you will eventually fix it. This is the main blocker against the decision to go for the paid version (although the price is also a bit too high, $5 would be a reasonable barrier - for example, the whole Google Workspace costs $6/month) . Maybe some kind of -50% promo on BFCM? I would jump into the annual package hoping that you will soon fix the bug with the lack of language correction.

1 Like

Let’s hope so. Unfortunately the bug on the electron side is 3 years old, so I would not expect a solution to appear very quickly.

I will monitor it and keep you updated if there is any progress.

Also, this is only a Windows issue, so if you want to try Linux as an OS, you would get rid of the bug. :wink:

Thanks for the quick answer :+1:
I know Linux is a good system, but it is not possible and is not the solution in my case.

I read the link you posted in the previous message: [Bug]: Renderer spellcheck API does not work on Windows · Issue #28684 · electron/electron · GitHub
Thanks for that. Too bad they didn’t fix it :frowning:
Regards

1 Like

An idea - maybe there is a chance to make a plugin for Mailspring that would use LanguageTool API documentation ?
I’m not a programmer, so I have no idea if it is or isn’t possible to create a spell checker plugin :expressionless:
However, I have seen the obsidian.md plugin, so I assume it is possible.

PS I see topic about here: Language Tool Addon
But silence.

Really one of best email clients, which I tested, but this issue is making me step of uninstall it and forgot. How to pay for soft without this basic function?

However, I hope that this can somehow be fixed soon.

This does seem to work on Windows 10. I have my system set to use “en-US” and when going into mailspring preferences and setting my spellcheck language to use “en-United Kingdom” the spellcheck then seems to function properly.

I am running version 1.13.1-59cb1b1d

Hopefully, this bug can get fixed soon but it doesn’t seem likely. Thank you for the temporary workaround though.

1 Like

Years gone… and still no fix. No chance to buy this solution. I will get eMclient…