Sync rules between computers

I would be 2x the subscription price to have my rules sync across computers, as it stands I spent a long time adding all the marketing stuff I get to my promotional folder to keep my inbox clean and relevant but then I dared to get a laptop and now I have to turn my desktop to sort through new emails or spend the hours it took me to set up the email rules again in my new laptop, but also on every time I upgrade my computer or start using a new one. Absolute insanity.

A little bit unrelated but I would love a phone app as well, but only if my rules get synced so the same issues doesn’t happen on phones as well

I hear ya on this.

It’s a problem I go through with any local email client though (Thunderbird, emClient, Mailbird, Postbox etc etc).

Need like a cloud account that you can log into within the application that will sync settings, preferences, accounts, rules etc across all devices that sign into that account).

Similar to what you do in browsers like Chrome, Firefox etc.

Anyway, it’s got my vote!

I think import/export rules will be enough for now.

Hey, I found a workaround to import, export, which might be helpful for someone. So here it is:

1. Open mailspring on your computer with the up to date mail rules
  2. Open the developer tools via the menu “Developer” > “Toggle Developer Tools” → a developer tool window should open
  3. Go to the application tab in the developer tools (you might have to use the “>>” icon to view all tabs)
  4. Select the “Storage” > “Local Storage” > “file://” item in the left navigation of the developer tools application tab → you should now see some entries with “Key” and “Value”
  5. Rightclick on the value of the entry with key “MailRules-V2”
  6. Click “Edit value” in the context menu
  7. Copy the complete value (starting with “[” and ending with “]”)
  8. Transfer this text over to your other computer(s)
  9. Open mailspring on the other computer, open developer tools and go to the same storage (Application > Local Storage > file:// > MailRules-V2)
  10. Edit the “MailRules-V2” there and paste the text from the first computer
  11. Restart Mailspring (on Ubuntu clicking on the X is not enough, you have to actually quit mailspring from the top activity bar
  12. The rules from the other computer should now be applied :tada:

Things to keep in mind:

• this deletes all the rules that you previously had on the “other computer”
  • I have only tested it on my Ubuntu, Mac setup with a few accounts. No guarantee that it works with all setups

I hope, this is helpful to anyone. A nice way to import, export would of course be nicer, since this workaround is quite cumbersome.

Cheers!