Accented character with Keyboard Layout US International with Dead key don't work

Description

I’m French and I use a QWERTY keyboard. I use the keyboard layout: US International with dead keys, available on all operating systems. Its specialty is to use a key combination to write any accented character, like é, è, ë… first key for the accent, second for the character. Since the last update, after typing a combo key, the character is immediately deleted after the next keyboard input. This is a big problem for me; my app is currently unusable and I have a paid account.

To Reproduce…

1. Switch your keyboard layout system to US International with dead keys.
  2. Open Mailspring.
  3. Create a new message.
  4. Try to write an accented character, like “é” (’ + e).
  5. Enter any other character.

Expected Behavior

With the US International with dead keys keyboard layout, the combo key character has a bug.

Screenshots

Peek 23-11-2023 01-23

Setup

• OS and Version: Ubuntu Linux 22.04
    • Installation Method: snap
  • Mailspring Version: 1.13.1-59cb1b1d

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive description of the issue. This seems to be a direct effect of the updated chrome version inside electron. We are already aware of it and are looking for a solution.

Also see: Error typing email - #2 by jubarbie

Same problem in Spanish.

I have to write the email in a text editor and then copy/past it.

It seems to affect only to the wrinting, because pasting accented characters is allowed and the email is sent correctly.

1 Like

Description

When typing, sometimes, the keyboard hangs, doesn’t write, and you cannot move the cursor. Also get the error in the screenshot section. If you close and reopen the app, the issue disappear, and the written text is there but in other location, not where the cursor was.

To Reproduce…

It is random, but it is not a one-time thing. It happened to me a lot. Usually when changing the language with the keyboard to Spanish, and when putting accents in the works like á é í, etc. To create the accent a key combination is used (`and the letter). Also, it always happened when reply, not when you write a new email.

Expected Behavior

Write an email reply without issue.

Screenshots

Setup

• OS and Version: macOS 10.15.5
  • Mailspring Version: 1.7.8

Additional Context

Writing an email with Mailspring starts to bothers me, since this issue is appearing more often.

(Originally posted by aletc1 on GitHub.)

This happens to me also a lot. To resolve this issue, I close the mail I’m writing and then I’m re-opening it from the drafts.
Also, from last update 1.13.1, I’m not able to write with accents (I’m french). Everytime I wrtie and accent, this creates a weird behavior and seems to make the caret move to another place in the text.
I also avec other issues with deleted mails coming back everyday to my inbox…
I think I’ll just leave it to something more robust.

1 Like

@jubarbie I can confirm the issue. Thanks for the report!

@bengotow This seems like it may be also connected to slate. Maybe you can have a look.

1 Like

Hey folks!

I speak portuguese, and in our language (and others that use latin languages too) we have some special characters like: á, ã, â, and à too.
So, when I want write some email in portuguese and I use this special characters, they just “disappear”.
For example: ‘Ao invés de fazer tal coisa…’ , when I use ‘é’ ( ’ + e ) and I press the space key to write the other letter ‘s’, the letter ‘é’ disappear. This happen when I use `, ^, ', ~, and " too.
This problem that disappear the letters is recently, but in old versions of Mailspring I was with other related problems. For example, typing ‘^’ with the letter and I can’t use the paragraph or sometimes can’t use the “Backspace” key for example. This second problem, to solve that, I had to use again some accent in some letter to can use the backspace key again.

So, anybody can help me?

Ps: If you want to try reproduce this problem, you must use the “English (US, intl. with dead keys)” keyboard layout on your computer.

• OS and Version: Debian 13 (Trixie, Kernel Linux 6.5.0-4-amd64)
  • Installation Method: .deb
  • Mailspring Version: 1.13.1-59cb1b1d
1 Like

Post by @ymusachio moved. Thanks a lot for the report. This seems to be the same issue as: Error typing email - #2. I will move it into this tread to keep the discussion at one place.

I am facing the exact same issue when writing in Portuguese and using accents. This happens both on my iMac and on my Mac Book Pro.

I also confirm what @ymusachio posted. In earlier versions I would get and error or strange behavior, and would solve it by closing the e-mail and opening from the draft. But now even that or restarting Mailspring stoped working. I’m on version 1.13.1.

Description

After to update to 1.13.1-59 version (tested with Flatpak and .deb version) is impossible to write in spanish with accents, the cursor back and the mouse can move the cursor to the end of the line after a accented letter

To Reproduce…

Compose any mail or response another, also appends in the quick templates area.

Copy and Paste the full text with accented letters is succesfull and the problem doesn’t happend.

orthography checking can be enable or disabled, the bug appears with any configuration

Expected Behavior

Compose mail and write normally

Screenshots

I’ve recorded the problem https://firdako2hm.vmaker.com/record/VQ87GFM2VBuUfZPI

Setup

• OS and Version: Linux Ubuntu 22.04
    • Installation Method: flatpak and .deb
  • Mailspring Version: 1.13.1-59

Additional Context

The problem appears in the last version update.

1 Like

Description

With the latest 1.13.1 version, it is not possible to add circumflex accents when writing anymore.
E.g. ê or â.

To Reproduce…

1. Install version 1.13.1 on Ubuntu from the .deb file.
  2. Write a new email.
  3. Type aaêbb

Expected Behavior

aaêbb is displayed in the text.
But you have aabb instead.

Screenshots

Setup

• OS and Version: Ubuntu Linux 20.04
  • Installation Method: .deb
  • Mailspring Version: 1.13.1

Additional Context

Thanks!

Same problem.

All circumflex characters are impacted (â, ê, î, ô, û) as well as “double dots” (ä, ë, ï, ö, ü). Looks like the caret is repositionned before the character when an accent is typed.

Other test case:

Test: type ^
expected: caret positioned after the character
actual: caret positioned before the character. Typing further erases the character

• version: latest/stable 1.13.1 (11/21)
  • install method: snap
1 Like

Hi,

I have this issue that in a message body I can’t type words with ’ , like can’t, I’ll, we’ll don’t, etc whenever I type the ’ character there’s some auto correct, this only happens in Mailspring, I checked various settings but can’t seem to find anything related.

See screenshot, when I type “can’t” the cursor just in front of the ’ and then it won’t show/complete, when press any key it will remove the 't
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 16.33.04

Thanks a lot for all the reports. We will try to ship a bugfix as soon as possible.

1 Like

Description

When typing the symbol ’ (single quotation mark) followed by another symbol (which is the way diacritical signs like ā, ē, č, etc. are produced on Latvian keyboard), the symbols appear AFTER the blinking text cursor and dissapear when the next symbol without the preceding quotation mark is typed.

Unfortunately this renders the client completely unusable in our language.

MacOS 13.2.1
Mailspring 1.13.1

Just realized this is just another aspect of this report - In email body can't use ' when typing, e.g. can't, I'll, we'll etc, when using ' there some "auto correct"

Hi!

Any update on this issue?

Mailspring is hardly to use in this situation.

Unfortunately, I was not yet able to find an easy solution. If we need to update the editor setup which produces the errors with the new chrome shipped with electron, this unfortunately is a big issue. As soon as the is progress, I will let you know here.

3 Likes

I’ve revert to 1.10.7 using flatpak… as it’s quite unusable for a french man :slight_smile: So waiting the resolution.

Same Problem here. I need to write Emails in 3 languages on a daily base. This is a critical issue as in really makes the software virtually unusable.

2 Likes