Empty Trash Not Working

Description

When I deleted a draft email reply to a certain email, there is a new trash email generated. But when I hit empty trash, the trash did not go away.

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Go to any received email, scroll to the bottom
  2. Click on ‘write a reply’
  3. click ‘delete’ icon
  4. go to trash folder
  5. click empty trash now… nothing happened

Expected Behavior

trash folder should be empty

Screenshots

Setup

• OS and Version: Windows 10 Home, Build 18363
  • Mailspring Version: 1.7.7

(Originally posted by chenhao1umbc on GitHub.)

Can confirm. Deleted empty drafts appear as empty threads in the trash bin and these empty cannot be removed from there (unless you rebuild all cache…).

When you drag these empty threads back into the inbox, completely random things start happening (e.g. other recent emails from the inbox suddenly disappear from the inbox and pop up in the trash; or other recent emails from the inbox turn into empty threads, causing data loss). So: don’t drag the empty threads from the trash into the inbox!

(Originally posted by asparc on GitHub.)

I confirm, that this is reproducible reliably in the latest release. I have a few infos to add:

• This even happens for me if the draft e-mail has some content
  • The thread where tha draft e-mail is deleted is displayed in the Trash, whereas the draft e-mail seems to be completely deleted and does not appear in the thread that is displayed in the Trash
  • Cleaning the mailsync cache deletes the thread from the view in the Trash

The commands that are sent from the UI to the Mailsync Engine seem correct. Therefore this looks like it needs to be resolved inside the sync engine.

1 Like

Duplicate: Mails persist in the trash after emptying the trash or the junk

Description

One of the emails don’t get removed from my trash folder in Mailspring, even though it is removed on the mail server.

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Click the button “empty trash now”
  2. Verify the email is still present in the trash folder in Mailspring
  3. Verify the email is not present anymore in the mailserver

Expected Behavior

The email should not show in the Trash folder anymore.

Screenshots

Setup

• OS and Version: Pop_!OS 20.10
  • Installation Method: snap
  • Mailspring Version: 1.8.0

Additional Context

The email is not part of a thread of emails. It is 1 email.
The content of the email is not shown, also not when I restore it to the inbox.
When I restore the email to the inbox, then remove, the empty the trash, the email still remains in the trash.

Hi @armaccloud,

Please try to clean your local Mailspring Cache as follows:

• Go to Preferences > Accounts
  • Click on “Rebuild Cache”

Does this resolve the issue?

1 Like

Hi @Phylu
This solved the issue for me. Thanks!

This here seems to be the same issue:

Not being able to empty the trash emails persists. Using version 1.9.2 6e14dad1. I am able to delete all emails in my Gmail Trash. But, I cannot delete emails from my Network Solutions email box! The problem is bad, because once I pass the 950 trash email mark. The trash emails start going into my inbox. The only thing that I have found, that halfway works to somewhat empty the trash, is to reset the Cache. So if 400 of the 900 emails have gone from Trash to my In Box, and I reset my Cache, the number of emails in the trash is reduced drastically, but I still have to cleanup my In box. Hope we can resolve this soon. Happy to describe further.

This issue is the biggest gripe I have with mailspring as it happens quite regularly, at least once every day or two. I use it both on mac and linux and it happens on both platforms. I’m not sure whether it is because I use 10+ email accounts, but in any case, it is now very annoying from a user perspective.

The workaround fix is to find what account the “stuck” email in the trash belongs to, and then rebuild the cache of that account in settings. However, this really shouldn’t be the case after several years of people reporting the issue. I’ve been supporting mailspring with a pro subscription for a while now, hoping that my subscription would encourage more development. Unfortunately I haven’t seen this happen. When you couple that with the 24 - 48 hours of mailspring being completely unavailable due to the SSL issues recently on the server side, it has got me reconsidering my support.

I hope the devs pay attention to this. I really do think mailspring has the potential to be the best linux email client out there. It is literally 1 critical bug away from being “mostly” stable - at least from my perspective. It just seems like a terrible shame to have this huge bug unfixed after this amount of time.