Freezing and bugs on archlinux Gnome 45.2

Hey fellow Mailspring users,

I’m reaching out to see if anyone else is facing the same headaches with Mailspring that I’ve been dealing with for a while now. Despite loving the software and even being a paying subscriber, I’m at my wit’s end here. Here’s what’s been happening:

• Constant Freezing & Crashing: Mailspring often slows down to a crawl, freezes, and then crashes on me. I keep getting the “Mailspring not responding” message and end up having to kill the process and restart it. Super frustrating!
  • Message Archiving Glitches: Regularly, when I archive messages, some of them mysteriously end up in the trash. It’s like playing hide and seek with my emails.

I’m on Arch Linux, running Gnome 45.2, and I keep everything updated, so I’m stumped about what’s causing these issues. It’s getting to the point where I’m considering ditching Mailspring, which is a real bummer.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? Any tips or tricks that might help? Really appreciate any advice you guys might have!

Cheers!

We have some reports with similar behaviour. E.g.:

I have also seen a thread where there is a description about sync issues particular with apple mail due to a wrongly implemented standard on their side.

Unfortunately, it is really hard to reproduce those issues and therefore hard to track down where the issue is and how to fix it. Any systematic issues that you see are highly appreciated for us to fix it. (Un)fortunately, I did not see any such problems on Ubuntu, Mac (both in productive use) or Windows (mainly for developing Mailspring fixes) so far and cannot help there for now.

1 Like

by applemail, do you mean iCloud.com?
I havent seen this as much, but I do see similar problems with Zoho… did they deviate from the standard too?

in my case is Microsft365 + Google workspace (gmail) + AWS Workmail

For Me I have gmail, and some of my own servers too and mailspring is constantly freezing and coming back. Very annoying. The desktop file also needed a patch for --password-store=“gnome-libsecret” to be able to work.

I had to switch to thunderbird for now because mailspring randomly became unusable. It is a shame I have to keep a “backup client” on my machine. Please team fix this issue I hate thunderbird it is sooo ugly (even the beta) and I love the mailspring pro features!

crash every hour or offen :frowning: untilisable for me:

❯ mailspring --disable-gpu
Running database migrations
App load time: 316ms

{"error":null}
Manual update check (updates.getmailspring.com/check/linux/x64/1.13.3-9a7e1a78/XXX/stable) returned 204
(electron) 'scroll-touch-{begin,end,edge}' are deprecated and will be removed. Please use the WebContents 'input-event' event instead.
[0124/151852.575036:ERROR:directory_reader_posix.cc(42)] opendir /home/my_user/.config/Mailspring/Crashpad/attachments/XXXX: No such file or directory (2)
(electron) 'crashed event' is deprecated and will be removed. Please use 'render-process-gone event' instead.
TypeError: Object has been destroyed
    at BrowserWindow.s.reload (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:11050)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (file:///tmp/nylas-build/electron-packager/linux-x64/mailspring-linux-x64-6Ns7Ou/resources/app/src/browser/mailspring-window.ts:325:28)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:513:28)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:489:12)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:107096)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:525:35)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:domain:489:12) uncaughtException
(node:48510) [DEP0066] DeprecationWarning: OutgoingMessage.prototype._headers is deprecated
(Use `electron --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)
Raven: 429 - undefined
Raven: 429 - undefined
TypeError: Object has been destroyed
    at BrowserWindow.s.reload (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:11050)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (file:///tmp/nylas-build/electron-packager/linux-x64/mailspring-linux-x64-6Ns7Ou/resources/app/src/browser/mailspring-window.ts:325:28)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:513:28)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:107096)
    at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:525:35)
Attempting to call a function in a renderer window that has been closed or released.
Function provided here: index.ts:289:7

@6351dbd9085f3aeb806f do you have any solution for that ?