The Eternal Sync Bug

This one of of the most reported bugs in all of Mailspring. Under many circumstances, client syncing takes an extremely long time, approaching eternity. It also tends to use excessive CPU power in the process.

I’m collecting all the reports about this here. There’s too much information to migrate. See the individual reports for more information.


Possible Related:

Hi,

First time ever posting a bug, so my apologies if things are missing or are unclear.

Problem

I tried using Mailspring for several months now, most mail accounts are syncing fine. However iCloud keeps syncing. I can use it, but in the left bottom it keeps saying ‘Scanning messsages…’. At initial install, nearly all dots of iCloud account under scanning messages were green, except for ‘Inbox scanning’, this stalls at 71%. After restart it is not doing anything anymore, except scanning (and taking recources trying to scan).

Context

No

Email Provider

iCloud mail. Other seem to be working fine. However iCloud is my ‘main’ email.

Setup

Arch Linux 64 bit
Mailspring 1.7.8-13635bcf

I tried opening mailspring logs, i only see this:

1430 [2021-01-19 20:38:15.530] [foreground] [info] Idle exited with code 0
1430 [2021-01-19 20:38:15.553] [foreground] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - INBOX: modseq 609 to 609, uidnext 255 to 255
1430 [2021-01-19 20:38:15.560] [foreground] [info] Idling on folder INBOX
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.629] [background] [info] Syncing folder list...
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.667] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - INBOX: modseq 609 to 609, uidnext 255 to 255
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.693] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Sent: modseq 90 to 90, uidnext 67 to 67
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.709] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Drafts: modseq 239 to 239, uidnext 81 to 81
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.724] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Archive: modseq 7 to 7, uidnext 9 to 9
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.742] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Deleted Messages: modseq 4 to 4, uidnext 3 to 3
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.762] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Junk: modseq 1 to 1, uidnext 1 to 1
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.782] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Mailspring: modseq 1 to 1, uidnext 1 to 1
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.798] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Mailspring.Snoozed: modseq 1 to 1, uidnext 1 to 1
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.814] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Templates: modseq 1 to 1, uidnext 1 to 1
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.831] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Trash: modseq 123 to 123, uidnext 94 to 94
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.845] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - INBOX.spam: modseq 1 to 1, uidnext 1 to 1
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.846] [background] [info] Sync loop deleting unlinked messages with phase 1.
1430 [2021-01-19 20:39:16.846] [background] [info] Sync loop complete.
1430 [2021-01-19 20:40:15.758] [foreground] [info] Idle exited with code 0
1430 [2021-01-19 20:40:15.775] [foreground] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - INBOX: modseq 609 to 609, uidnext 255 to 255
1430 [2021-01-19 20:40:15.779] [foreground] [info] Idling on folder INBOX
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:16.846] [background] [info] Syncing folder list...
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:16.884] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - INBOX: modseq 609 to 609, uidnext 255 to 255
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:16.900] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Sent: modseq 90 to 90, uidnext 67 to 67
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:16.916] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Drafts: modseq 239 to 239, uidnext 81 to 81
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:16.935] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Archive: modseq 7 to 7, uidnext 9 to 9
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:16.951] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Deleted Messages: modseq 4 to 4, uidnext 3 to 3
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:16.969] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Junk: modseq 1 to 1, uidnext 1 to 1
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:16.985] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Mailspring: modseq 1 to 1, uidnext 1 to 1
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:17.002] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Mailspring.Snoozed: modseq 1 to 1, uidnext 1 to 1
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:17.019] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Templates: modseq 1 to 1, uidnext 1 to 1
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:17.033] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - Trash: modseq 123 to 123, uidnext 94 to 94
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:17.052] [background] [info] syncFolderChangesViaCondstore - INBOX.spam: modseq 1 to 1, uidnext 1 to 1
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:17.052] [background] [info] Sync loop deleting unlinked messages with phase 2.
1430 [2021-01-19 20:41:17.053] [background] [info] Sync loop complete.

I believe this is a duplicate of this: The Eternal Sync Bug

I think the same. Until the bug has been fixed, I switched to another mail client.

I also notice mails not showing up in my inbox, while the other mail client sees them (both imap). But I am not sure this is related?

It probably is related, and it’s an interesting clue.

Problem

When I mark any email as read or unread the mailspring starts “Syncing your mailbox…” with status “Marking as read” or “Marking as unread” and it lasts forever. In this case, the application heavily loads the processor. Closing-opening the app fixes the problem.

Context

I try to reproduce the issue with different Gmail accounts. It reproduces on accounts with thousands of emails but never happened on accounts with hundreds of emails.

Email Provider
Gmail

Setup

  • OS and Version: Ubuntu Linux 20.04
  • Installation Method: snapcraft and deb tested. The issue is on both
  • Mailspring Version: 1.9.1

That’s an interesting clue.