[Resolved] Gmail "This App is Blocked

Description

When connecting to a gmail account, an error is received upon entering your credentials. The error reads
"This app is blocked

This app tried to access sensitive info in your Google Account. To keep your account safe, Google blocked this access."

To Reproduce…

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Have a Gmail account with 2-factor authentication enabled
  2. In Mailspring, navigate to hamburger menu → Add Account
  3. Select Gmail or G Suite
  4. In the browser window that appears, enter your google account credentials to authenticate
  5. You will see the error text listed in the description

Expected Behavior

The authentication is successful and mailspring pulls in your gmail inbox.

Screenshots

Setup

• OS and Version: Windows 11
    • Installation Method: installer
  • Mailspring Version: 1.13.9-9a7e1a78

Additional Context

None

I’m having this problem too. I thought I put the wrong password in. I’ve unblocked everything in google chrome and it still won’t let me connect the app. I’m on Linux Kubuntu 24.04 and snap mailspring.

Same issue. Tried allowing less secure apps, still not working.

https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps

1 Like

I confirm. OS: Fedora. Mailspring installed via snap error in adding gmail accounts.

Same problem. Worked until a week or so ago.

ID: com.getmailspring.Mailspring
     Ref: app/com.getmailspring.Mailspring/x86_64/stable
    Arch: x86_64
  Branch: stable
 Version: 1.13.3
 License: GPL-3.0+
  Origin: flathub

Collection: org.flathub.Stable
Installation: user
Installed: 419.4 MB
Runtime: org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/23.08
Sdk: org.freedesktop.Sdk/x86_64/23.08

Commit: 2b5e3d263942c3e01bf4dbb97381f7bf87315d06e9b2fc87ee30339bb17046d6
  Parent: 2bbfa746a0eaac979a450c8acfb48960220c0f90d492faf7499fed74e53d4c24
 Subject: Update mailspring.deb to 1.13.3 (#37) (3a665e53)
    Date: 2024-02-06 03:08:59 +0000

Solution: Add the Gmail account via IMAP, not by selecting the Gmail option. Connects without issue.

Mailspring actually has an article about this that I found just now while googling the default Gmail IMAP settings:

It is a very tedious thing to do. You also have to handle the two-step verification. Rather than a solution, I would talk about a workaround. A tedious and time-consuming process if you have many gmail accounts. P.s.: It doesn’t work with Organizational/Institutional gmail account

This is more of a sync issue than a Mailspring bug, no?

Anyway, having the same issue here, with default everything. Not sure if I should just use IMAP or wait for a solution.

Same thing on Linux Mint 22. Fresh install and none of my three gmail accounts will link.

Getting the same thing and turning on less secure apps is disabled when you have 2 factor authentication on.

I guess there is nothing we can do as it’s Google which has blocked mailspring.

Try a way around as detailed:
works perfectly with https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords
need to activate 2 factor verification before you generate app passwords

1 Like

I am having this issue also. The suggestion is to use App Passwords with imap directly, which may work but is also less secure as using OAuth. I would rather prefer this issue to be resolved, which I’m not sure how but as I understand the issue is that Google has not verified Mailspring: OAuth App Verification Help Center - Google Cloud Platform Console Help which is an annual process that should be done in order for the App to be allowed to connect via OAuth.

2 Likes

Thnx boss… it worked. god bless u

1 Like

Welcome, this is a hot topic at present👍

2 Likes

Do you know if the verification process is being pursued? I’m using a business account and as far as I can tell none of the other solutions are available to me - I can’t generate an app password and I believe that IMAP is also not an option. I’ve tried some other programs but Mailspring is a fair degree better than those. Very frustrating

It will not solve the issue. App password for imap only.

Hi, this workaround doesnt import contacts & contacts label. Its clearly not a solution for me.

Same issue -
Can be used mailspring for gmail at all? I do not want spend days trying to get mailspring working .

This is the correct answer. The issue is fully within the purview of the app developer to stay current on their OAuth app verification requirements, which as @axelitus has pointed out is an annual process (the developers should have received an email from Google about starting the reverification process). IMAP and/or app passwords are not a solution, but a less secure and less functional workaround. Until the verification process is completed by the developer, there’s nothing a user can do to get it working without a less secure less convenient workaround.

Do we know if anyone from the dev team has seen this thread? Any movement or action being taken? It’d be great to get a confirmation that it’s being addressed and maybe a vague timeline. This effects anyone on Gmail.

5 Likes